[17] A Yaksha's Happiness

The Lantern Rite is a festival that lasts for five days. Each day, you made an effort to go to the Harbor just to see those bright lights again. Sometimes, you ate at Xiangling's restaurant or chatted with Baizhu and Qiqi along the way. 

Even so, you haven't seen Xiao once, and it was already the final day of the festival.

_ _ _

"Ah, (Y/N). Heading to the Harbor already?" Verr calls out as you passed by. 

You turn towards her with a smile. "Yup! Thanks for accompanying me yesterday, boss. It was fun experiencing the festival with you and Huai'an!" 

Verr chuckles. "Of course. I never thought I'd find the time to go, but ever since you started working here, I find myself having more free time than before." She gives you a warm, grateful smile. "If anything, we should be thanking you for your help."

A smile slowly illuminates your face. "It's no problem! I like this inn." 

Verr narrows her eyes at you, noticing the way your eyes flickered over to the stairs leading to the rooftop. "Hmm, I see." Her smile turns into a small smirk. "You know, I was wondering why you insisted on going to the Rite every day. The first and last days are more than enough after all," she continues. 

You tilted your head, wondering where she was going with this. 

"My guess is, you have yet to go with the person you truly wanted to spend time with, right?" Verr asked. "That's why you've gone to the festival every day so far, even though you've seen everything it had to offer."

Your eyes widened as you hurriedly explained yourself. "U-Uh... Well I-I've also been looking forward to the Rite for a long time, boss!"  

Sometimes, it truly scared you how easily Verr seemed to tell what was on your mind.

Verr burst into laughter. "I know, (Y/N), I'm just teasing. There's no issue in going every day," she reassures, or at least, attempts to reassure. 

You sighed in relief, but there was no mistaking the knowing glint in her eyes. 

"It's starting to get dark, (Y/N). You should get going if you want to make it to the Mingxiao Lantern's release."

You nearly forgot. Since today marked the final day of the Rite, the huge Mingxiao Lantern, along with several smaller Xiao Lanterns, was supposed to be released tonight. Each carried everyone's wishes and hopes for the year in its warm light.

'Now that I think about it, I don't think I've wished on a Xiao Lantern yet...' you thought, giving Verr a short bow as you took your leave. 'I don't even know what to wish for...' 

_______________

Nothing but his heavy panting could be heard. Xiao stuck his polearm on the bloody grass, leaning onto it for support as the pains of Karma threatened to consume him once more. 

'This is the fifth night...' he thought, face contorting into a grimace as he clutched his chest. Once again, he was the only one left standing amongst the fallen bodies of monsters. He could almost hear their cursed screams, even though they had long since collapsed on the bloody battlefield.  

Xiao wiped a streak of blood off his cheek as he attempted to stand upright. 'Tonight's the final day... I'll have to prepare for next year again,' he thought. 

This endless battle is a burden he carries on his own. He had long since thrown away all feelings of hope, and all feelings of longing. After all, his battle against the demons is something he must do for as long as he breathes. It didn't make sense for him to find solace as a yaksha.