10: Out of the Blue

♡Here's an extra-long chapter for making y'all wait for 2 weeks. Enjoy!♡

The television served as a distraction for you and Yuta as you both sat in silence, trying to wind down after a long day. The only noises in the living room were those that came from beyond the flat-screen TV's glass as scenes from a random movie played out. Despite no words being exchanged, it didn't feel like an awkward silence to you. After all, there weren't any rules stating that one was obligated to talk when among friends, right?

Friend.

Was that what you were to him? You liked to think that he considered you to be part of that group seeing as he was the one who had invited himself over this late afternoon. Maybe that was proof that you weren't as terrible to hang around with as you initially thought. Not that you thought so little of yourself but you couldn't help but feel like your presence wasn't wanted anymore after your friends were all scared away from coming over to your house.

The blue-eyed boy lay against a pillow as he sat on the other couch facing the front door, repeatedly stroking your beloved dog's fur. Normally, you would have been the one doing this during this time but the golden retriever seemed to have found a better couch companion.

Traitor. You were the one who fed him, bathed him, and took him out on walks. Where was his appreciation for you? Well, you couldn't blame him. You would have probably done the same if you were Copper.

Sneaking in a few brief glances to your right, you saw the jujutsu sorcerer and furry duo both almost asleep now as Yuta attempted to keep his eyes open. Although he remained quiet about it, the fatigue from his training was clearly showing, making you wonder how many cursed spirits he exorcised in a day. And Copper, who had settled himself across his lap, had already fallen asleep a while ago.

It was an adorable sight. A precious pair indeed. Cute boys and dogs just went so well together, didn't they? You would have probably looked for a bit longer but didn't want to make your feelings so obvious even though he didn't seem like the type to realize that someone had a crush on him. You just weren't about to take any chances.

There you go again with those thoughts of yours. You told yourself that you would stop already. But the longer you were around him, the more these thoughts persisted and thus, putting yourself back onto square one of whether or not love was a game you wanted to take part in.

Well, regardless of the feelings that you may or may not harbor for the boy, you were grateful for the company after school. The house was a lot less lonely now that there was someone other than a dog around. And there was no denying that Copper was happier too, not when the doggo greeted the jujutsu sorcerer with tail wags and excitement whenever he walked through the door.

Even though there were these pleasant thoughts roaming about inside your head, your mind was also preoccupied with something else, pulling your focus away from the screen in front of you. The movie had become background noise to these other thoughts, putting on a movie of their own.

Damn security guard had to go and ruin the rest of your week for you. And of course, the principal, out of all days, had to be at the school late. She also hadn't believed your story about the two of you being in the indoor pool area. Your claim that you were looking for something, while not a complete lie, had gone in one ear and out the other once she saw that you were soaked from falling into the pool.

Your punishment: a week's worth of detention. The consequences could have been worse but now you had to spend your free time after school sitting inside a stuffy old classroom instead of out cursed spirit hunting with Yuta.

The sound of the doorbell going off placed your frustration on pause as you and Yuta brought your attention towards the door. Your dog was now wide awake as he stared straight ahead with his ears perked up at the sudden noise.