14: Oddities

The wooden floorboards creaked underneath your weight as you walked along the continuous window-lined corridor that traced the dormitories. The light from the late afternoon sun peeked in, casting shadows from the trees outside against the walls and floor as you rolled one of your two suitcases along while holding onto Copper's leash. You followed your sensei down another hallway with Yuta close behind carrying your other suitcase.

Your request to stay in your father's old dorm room couldn't be fulfilled sadly since another one of the first-years was already occupying it, leading you to choose your mother's as the next available option. Speaking of your father, your meeting would be delayed until he returned from his trip to Africa, much to your disappointment.

You also had yet to meet your other classmates and despite being excited about potentially making some new friends, you felt like you were going to be the odd one out of the bunch. Being from overseas and lacking knowledge of the jujutsu world made you feel like an outsider intruding on this group of sorcerers. Hopefully, with time, you wouldn't feel so out of place anymore.

As you continued on through the next hallway, you caught a glimpse of the other yet-to-be-explored areas of the school through the windows. From what you had seen of Tokyo Jujutsu High so far, you were impressed. The buildings looked more than large enough to accommodate the few students, which made up your respective years. Your curiosity was then interrupted when a voice called for your attention. "Well, here we are," Gojo smiled, directing you to a lonely door at the end.

"Thank you," you told him, a bit of self-consciousness sneaking in as you tried to get used to speaking the Japanese language now that you were no longer back home.

"No problem, I'll let you get settled in now. Classes don't start until Monday so enjoy the weekend while you can you two," he reminded you. And with that, he made his exit back down the way the three of you came from.

You then unhooked your golden retriever's leash from his green collar, setting him free so he could explore part of his new home. Pulling your suitcase inside the room, you hauled it onto your bed, which sat at the center. Yuta followed your lead and placed the other one beside it as you began taking out some clothes to put away in the wardrobe. The rest of your belongings that you couldn't pack would be shipped from home to you later this week.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" the dark-haired sorcerer offered as you started hanging some shirts up on hangers.

"No-oh, wait. There actually is something I could use your help with," you realized upon remembering your doggo's lost luggage, which you were still upset about. "I need to go to the store later to get Copper food and replace some of his belongings. Could you come with me?"

"Sure I can."

"Great, thanks." You quickly scanned the room and saw that said dog was now gone. He must have slipped out while you were distracted with unpacking.

"I see that Copper has already decided to explore the school without you," he laughed.

You returned the laughter only to let out an all too familiar sigh. "I better go find him before he gets himself into any trouble."

♡♡♡

A flash of black and white appeared in your field of vision followed close behind by a golden brown blur as you stopped to take a closer look at the strange scene taking place just beyond the windowed corridor. "Um, I think I just found Copper, but care to tell me why the hell he's chasing someone in a panda costume?" you asked your dark blue-eyed upperclassman as he too stopped to take a look.