12: My Fate is in Your Hands

⚠️Important⚠️ I made a mistake when writing chapter 11 so please ignore the very end about the reader being the only first-year (if you read it before I edited it). Y'all will be seeing the main trio soon as well. Thank you to that one person who pointed this out. So sorry for the mistake but I hope you enjoy chapter 12!

Insomnia claimed your sleep tonight causing you to toss and turn as you had all those weeks ago, placing you under a curse of awakeness. After five hours of this endless struggle, you were hoping that your body would exhaust itself. But no matter what position you found yourself in, sleep could not find you.

Throughout the night, your bedroom filled with the soft snores of your golden retriever while your mind was filled with thoughts of uncertainties and the unknown. Those thoughts overpowered you in the end and you were on a one-way trip to sleepless Ville.

Ever since you left that meeting with Yuta and his sensei-soon to possibly be your sensei as well-you had tried to come up with the best way to tell your mother about your acceptance to this school of sorcery. You still weren't sure how to approach the topic but knew you had to do it soon since Yuta was due back in Japan soon now that classes were starting up again.

Fifteen whole years had passed and nothing about the subject of jujutsu had come up all this time, but why? Did not unlocking your cursed technique all this time place you among the ordinary civilian population who was to know nothing of jujutsu society?

But there was something else that was bothering you even more. Why is it that you could neither see nor sense any cursed energy from your mother? What was her place within jujutsu society if she had none? It was strange but explained why you hadn't realized her possible jujutsu roots since she had been home.

As you turned over onto your back, you noticed a light underneath the crack of your bedroom door, illuminating the hallway a bit. Your mother must have gotten up again to drink some tea. Wasn't this the third night in a row now?

Before attempting to fall asleep again, another thought came to you: Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to talk to her alone without your father around?

You left the comfort of your bed as you made your way over to the door but hesitated at the twist of the doorknob. What words would be exchanged between you and your mother once the truth was finally exposed? Your chest began to tighten again at this reoccurring thought, halting any further movement as you just stood there in the darkness of your bedroom. The only thing keeping you from being in total black was the glow of the glitter lamp, its glitter pieces swirling around as the colors went from red to blue.

This was just a conversation. That's all it was. It wasn't like you were going out there to do battle with a cursed spirit. But knowing your mother, it may as well be. Maybe you were getting too ahead of yourself. She may be strict but you couldn't say she was completely unfair and not understanding. Would her lack of sleep put you at a disadvantage though?

Enough was enough. There was no point in prolonging your curiosity. Now was the time for some clarity in your life. And if it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to then you could at least say you tried in the end, right?

But that only brought a frown to your face, knowing that without your mother's approval, that would mean that you would probably never get to see Yuta again. To think you were more concerned about that than actually developing your sorcery abilities and meeting your biological father.

It was just a crush. It will pass soon.

Hopefully.

Finally opening your bedroom door, you walked down the hallway until you found yourself between the kitchen and living room. Your mother was seated at the kitchen island just like the two previous nights with a cup of hot tea at her side. The tired look in her eyes made her seem much older than she was: A woman in her mid-thirties. In her hands was a pair of glasses, which she fiddled with while her elbows rested against the granite countertop, seemingly lost in thought.