22: Get Well

You nearly spit out the hot liquid upon hearing your grandmother's words. Quickly setting down the cup of green tea, you attempted to compose yourself as you forced yourself to swallow the long sip you had taken. After a few coughs had escaped your mouth and with your throat now cleared again you finally gave a response to the unexpected reveal, surprise coating your features.

"A Natsuki? Are you sure?"

"Of course," Sachiko said, almost offended that you would think she would lie. She let out a sigh, seeming to direct her annoyance at someone who wasn't present at the moment, judging by her next sentence. "This doesn't even have to do with either you or I yet we somehow got dragged into this mess with you at the center of it all... I swear, I don't know what goes on inside that boy's head."

"How did you find all this out?" you questioned, still confused about the situation when you were being deprived of most of the important details.

"Well, let's just say we were able to have a lovely chat with that stalker of yours," she revealed, earning more looks of surprise from you and Yuta who sat to the side of you. "And no, the guy's not dead. Just know he's been taken care of. You can thank Shinya later for that."

"Then who in our family is responsible for all this then?" You tried not to sound so demanding but your impatience still managed to leak out at being left in the dark yet again.

"It's not my story to tell. You can ask your father when he finally joins us tomorrow."

"But—"

She put up a hand as if to physically put a stop to your words. "You have some training to do. Both of you," she corrected. "Now if you'll excuse me, there are some things I need to prepare for Shinya's arrival."

You heavily sighed as the door shut behind her, leaving you and the sleep-deprived-looking boy alone to finish breakfast and with more questions than you started with. Taking notice of the food still left on his plate, you questioned, "Yuta, aren't you hungry? You still have a lot on your plate." Your annoyed expression transformed into one of concern as you looked to him for an answer.

He wore a smile as he responded with, "I'm just not that hungry right now. I'll eat some more later."

"Okay..." You weren't entirely convinced but you decided not to push it any further.

"So it's a Natsuki huh?" He changed the subject again, bringing your focus back onto the source of your annoyance. "I guess we have no choice but to wait for an explanation from Natsuki sensei."

You let out another heavy sigh. "Unfortunately... Well, we can't laze around here for too long. I don't want my grandmother to scold us. But honestly, I think you should be getting some rest. You look a lot paler than usual..." The worry was evident on your face now, prompting you to place a hand on your forehead before placing it on his. "No temperature, it seems..."

Yuta reached for your outstretched hand, his contagious smile still present as he held it in assurance. "No need to worry. I'm fine."

"I guess but I still can't help but worry," you said, releasing your hand from his to brush back a loose strand of hair from his face. A slight blush coated his features as you removed your hand and got up from the table, ready to head outside for some more training.

♡♡♡

You had only been training for a week here at the Natsuki estate but it had felt much longer thanks to your grandmother's strict requirements. She had been insistent that you master the basics of the bow so you could concentrate on using your cursed technique better. And while you knew she meant well, it didn't stop the soreness that had taken over. Just lifting your arms made your muscles scream with aches and pains as you still hadn't gotten used to all this yet.