17: Words Cut like Knives

A/N #1: I may be a bit rusty but please enjoy the new chapter. I'm so sorry to have kept y'all waiting all these months.

The clang of the soda can at the bottom of the vending machine rang out in the deserted hospital corridor as it descended to your awaiting hands. Reaching inside the compartment, you pulled out the cold drink and opened it, immediately placing it up to your lips for a sip. In an attempt to keep yourself awake, you downed the rest of the soda before throwing the can away in a nearby bin.

Continuing on, you made your way through the corridor toward one of the elevators and pressed the button. A few moments later the doors opened to reveal zero passengers on board. Stepping inside, you found the button for basement level one, hesitating as you pressed it. As the elevator made its descent, you tapped your foot, anxiously waiting for your stop.

You were going solo tonight.

Yeah. It was just you this time. No one to accompany you.

You needed to do this though. It was time you proved that you could fight on your own. And you could use the alone time. Time to get away from everyone and everything at school.

You weren't going to lie to yourself and say you weren't nervous about going this alone but you couldn't rely on your father and Yuta forever. Not like you had been around the upperclassman at all since that day you had lunch with your father and him. You had been avoiding him like the plague for several weeks now and you were sure he was starting to notice you were purposely doing it. And every time he tried to talk to you you'd just make some lame excuse to get out of any potential conversation.

Once the elevator doors finally creaked open, you couldn't help but have a little regret at your decision to go solo as you peeked into the basement opening. Why did almost every location with curses have to be so creepy? And why did you think it would be a great idea to settle on this specific target out of all of them? Forget trying to look brave, this felt stupid now but oh well, there was no turning back now unless you wanted to look like a coward among the other sorcerers.

Time to get this over with so you could go be miserable in your dorm room instead.

Taking a few steps forward, you began cautiously scanning the room as you walked, your cursed tool: Love is Blue at the ready. The staff who had informed the school about the curse knew you would be down here exorcizing it so there shouldn't be anyone else here besides the curse and you. Despite most of the lights being on, there were still some dark patches here and there, the lights having gone out in those areas probably a while ago, giving the whole place an eerie vibe.

Out of the corner of your eye, you caught something moving past one of the tall shelves a few rows down from where you were standing. You immediately gave chase, hoping to catch up before it disappeared again.

The curse knocked over a few boxes in your path as it tried to get away from you. But before it could get any farther, you decided to aim your arrow through the shelf between the two of you, using the empty space to your advantage.

It let out a small shriek when it made contact, signaling your victory as it disintegrated into the air. This curse wasn't very strong so it wasn't supposed to be difficult to exorcize but regardless of its threat level, it needed to be dealt with as it had been a pest to all the hospital workers that came down to the basement.

You were surprised by how quickly you were able to defeat it but before you could bask in your glory, a flash of metal came from the shadows. Having been taken so off guard you barely managed to avoid the metal object making complete contact with your face as you moved to the side. It made a loud clang as it fell to the floor. You then felt something warm and wet trickle down your face and when you went to touch your left cheek, your hand came back with blood. Luckily it had grazed you so the cut wasn't too deep it seemed.