20: A Storm is Approaching

Why did the feel of his hand feel so foreign within your own? Shouldn't you be used to this by now? Was it the fact that you had finally both made your feelings known that made you want to pull your hand away? His grip was firm yet gentle as you felt the ring he wore press against your finger as you walked side by side.

Your eyes scanned your surroundings as you entered the school grounds, worried that someone would see the two of you holding hands. It wasn't like you were trying to hide it, you were just a bit embarrassed is all. And you couldn't help but feel even more embarrassed whenever his dark blue eyes turned around to meet yours, checking up on you. This would cause you to immediately avert your gaze while he smiled in response to your cute reaction.

As you neared your dorm room, one of the doors opened without warning, causing your hand to leave the comfort of Yuta's as the pink-haired boy before you took your hands into the two of his own. "You're alright! I'm so so sorry, [First Name]!"

"It's okay, Yuji. It was an accident. Copper has given me the slip plenty of times before so it isn't his first time getting into trouble," you reassured him, offering a smile to drive home your point as you felt the heat rise to your face from him holding onto your hands.

"So you're not mad?" He looked towards your eyes, searching for any signs of that emotion but yours held none, making him feel relieved as you shook your head.

The sound of a forced cough took you out of your current interaction as you both turned to look at the dark-haired upperclassman, seeming to forget about his presence until just now. Your fellow first-year finally removed his hands from yours, turning his attention to Yuta, and offering him a greeting. "Yuta! Hey!"

While the two boys were distracted talking, you walked the rest of the way to your own room, eager to see your golden retriever again. Upon opening your door, you could hear the excited cries of your dog from where his bed was. You quickly went over to him to keep him from getting up and moving around. He greeted you with love, offering up kisses as you carefully patted him, watching for the injuries he was still recovering from.

A few minutes had passed when you heard the door open and shut close behind you. You remained where you were, your dog's excitement signaling who was here in the room with you both. A hand reached out from your right side, landing atop Copper's head, a sweet voice accompanying it. "Glad to see you're alright too, Copper."

Yuta then turned to face you, a question leaving his lips. "Are you hungry, [First Name]?"

"Yeah, I'd love to get some food right now." Hospital food just wasn't cutting it anymore.

"Perfect." A small smile graced his face as he stood back up, stretching. "Let's go grab some dinner then."

♡♡♡

The two of you left the Japanese eatery feeling satisfied and ready to once again walk back to Tokyo Jujutsu High. The sun had since gone down and the bright lights and the noise of the nighttime crowds had taken over as you also joined them.

Despite feeling worried that you could be attacked again, those worries seemed to melt away when Yuta held your hand. His protective presence overtook all those scary thoughts crawling around inside your head. He's incredibly strong so whatever happened, you knew you would be okay in his capable hands.

You were suddenly pulled forward by the sleep-deprived-looking boy, his pace quickening. Before you let anything slip from your mouth, you studied the boy in front of you, noticing the urgency in his movements. Not wanting to potentially make the situation worse or draw attention to you, you stayed silent and went along with it.

Finding the nearest open store, he pulled you inside, making his way to the back with you in tow. He looked around the store cautiously and once he finally felt like it was safe, he let go of your hand, moving both of his hands to your shoulders to get your focus onto him. Letting out a sigh of relief, he finally explained, his voice low. "Some guy in a suit started following us a few blocks back. Let's just wait a bit before we head back okay?"