Part 6 - be careful Mr Barnes

You wake up sweaty, aching and frustrated, more so uncomfortable from the mattress at Stark tower. After tossing and turning on a soft bundle of cotton for what feels like hours, you get up from the covers. A quick glance into the mirror on your way out of the door nicely shows you how the dim lit building hides your dark circles and tired expression.

Your body is exhausted from the weeks previous events, and your tired legs show evidence by shaking lightly as you struggle to stand on them. The white shirt Natasha has given you only just covers your bum, and the white tones stand out in your dark surroundings. The room has a low orange hue to it from the various street lights outside, it is warm and subtle, almost comfortable to an agent used to the night work.

Your throat still suffers an unquenchable thirst as you quietly make your way down the hallway and towards the elevator. It makes sense to put you on the top floor, you doubt that any of the team will have been able to sleep knowing you are only a few doors over; needless to say, as you step out of the elevator on the bottom floor, you can hear the muffled rumbles from the rooms above.

You make your way over to the kitchen and rummage through the cupboards until you find a small glass.

The building is all but silent apart from light footprints and irregular breathing patterns that you can hear from the next room over. You assume by the heaviness of the breathing and the careful positioning of the footsteps it is Bucky.

You can feel his lingering presence in the doorway, like a haunting shadow as clear as if he had introduced himself on the way in, nevertheless you carry on with what you're doing, not alerting him to your knowledge.

You turn the tap on lightly and hold the glass underneath it, watching as the water swarms into the glass, becoming enclosed within it. After a moment you turn the tap off and within the same second grab the biggest chefs knife from the set on the counter and hold it up to your side.

You place the glass down onto the marble surface and turn around, keeping your feet shoulder width apart as you look, curiously into Bucky's wondering gaze.

You hold the knife firm against his throat as you inch closer, tightening the already small gap between your bodies.

"You shouldn't be sneaking up on women in the dark, Mr Barnes" you speak slowly, ensuring you have his full attention as you then proceed to carefully graze the edge of the knife over the dark, brown stubble that coats his jawline, "you never know what they might be holding close by" you smirk mischievously, looking up at him with narrowed eyes.

He looks down on you, narrowing his eyes and lightly tracing his tongue over his lower lip. His gaze is strong, communicating more than his words ever could as you stand there unwilling to move.

After a short but tense moment, you feel two light pats on your inner thigh, as you look down Bucky has a small retractable pocket knife pressed against the top of your leg, "for an ex assassin you should be more weary of your surroundings" he grins, sliding the blade further up your bare leg, excruciatingly slow.

A shudder filled with a strange sensation overcomes you like a strong winter wave as your eyes linger down from his soft, steel blue eyes to his plump, pink toned lips, a light glow reflecting off of them from where his tongue has previously been.

You grab his wrist firmly before it has the chance to travel any closer to your core, you move his hand to the side of your leg and step forward, "careful Mr Barnes, you wouldn't want to be killing of the new team member so quickly" you almost whisper in his ear before letting go of his wrist, feeling his hand linger along your thigh for a moment before you step backwards, placing the knife on the counter, as your bodies separate.

"Team member?" he questions, lightly clearing his throat as he does so. Nervous perhaps? No you don't think so, the blatant sarcasm hidden away speaks for itself in that arena. Regardless, your mind wonders on why he doesn't want you at the compound, surely it cannot be the simple events leading you here in the first place.

"Yes" you reply, taking the glass of water from the side and slowly heading out of the kitchen. A light, regular pattern of footsteps can be heard behind you, before the familiar, agitated voice, "thought you were hydra" he comments accusingly as he takes a few longer strides to get in front of you.

From the dim light you can see his glassy eyes moving quickly, scanning your features, assessing for anything he can use against you, a twitch, a hint of hesitation, a lie, anything. You stop in your tracks, in turn causing him to do the same, you lean in closely until your breath causes the hairs behind his neck to stir, "and I you, Mr Barnes" you whisper, allowing your lip to gently caress his earlobe before pulling away and heading back down the corridor and eventually heading into the elevator.

You reach over to the key pad and press the button for the sixth floor, a few moments later the automated voice of Jarvis quietly welcomes you, before the doors slowly begin to slide shut.

As the doors are slowly inching together a black and gold hand crashes in between them, when they open once again, Bucky comes walking in through the gap with a smug smile laced all over his face.

He walks in and stands behind you, painfully, frustratingly close.

"For the record, I think Stark is making a huge mistake trusting you" his voice is raspy and his breath is fresh as it sweeps over your shoulder. The elevator doors finally shut, this time making it together before the shaft slowly ascends.

Standing with your weight equally on both of your feet, you watch silently as the lights on the control panel make their way up from one through to five.

Just before floor number six has the chance to lite up, Bucky steps forwards and tugs on the emergency stop.

"What are you planning?" he steps forwards, his eyes narrowing as you in turn begin to walk backwards to separate the closing distance between you, "what does hydra want from the avengers?" he asks again as your back hits the wall. Looking down to you with a determined, focused expression, you only look up to him with a read less, bored and empty expression that stares back at him blankly.

"You know you're a little underdressed to be wondering about" he looks down at your half naked body standing in front of him, "trying to show us how vulnerable you are? interesting tactic, but I don't buy it"

As he leans in closer, your breath hitches as he does so. Only slightly surprised by his tactic to throw you off guard by seeming to have to upper hand, you raise your eyebrow mischievously, "part of you doesn't seem to mind" you glance down at the bulge slowly emerging in his sweats.

Releasing a husky hum he begins to step away, his tone is low and hoarse, and almost has traces of a growl imbedded inside, "don't flatter yourself" he mumbles, pushing back in the emergency stop handle, causing the elevator to move up the remaining half a floor.

Less than a moment later the elevator doors begin to slowly slide open with a bing, "goodbye Miss y/n, sleep well" Jarvis speaks as you step over the threshold and onto the top floor, you turn back to Bucky, almost empathetically within the glance you give him, "you know as well as I the horrors that await at hydra, you really think I wouldn't have already planned an escape if I am here on their orders?"

He looks a you for a brief moment before his lips slowly part, "and you know as well as I they have very persuasive methods" he replies simply before the doors slide shut and you're once again left alone in the solitude.

——⧗——

Some tension happening between Bucky and y/n, I wonder how long the boundaries between them will last.

Have any of you guys watched Multiverse of Madness yet? I went to see it yesterday and I got some opinions...

Please consider giving this chapter a vote and a comment, I appreciate it <3