Chapter 9: The Toy Machine Room

Y/n's POV:

    For the next hour or two, the three of us wasted time either talking or playing cards. As much as I didn't want to admit it, I actually enjoyed being with Henry again. I also admired how kind he was to Boris. Nobody else down here had a heart, so they all treated us pretty poorly. I couldn't deny that it was nice to have someone who actually treated us well.

    But I wouldn't let Henry know that. He didn't need to know that I secretly appreciated his presence.

    But at the same time, I wasn't going to treat him poorly either. He showed me a ridiculous amount of kindness by offering to save me from this place. On top of that, he even agreed to help Boris out too.

    I guess that kind heart of his never changed over the years.

    After one of our many games of Egyptian Ratscrew, Henry finally stood up from the table.

    "Don't get me wrong, this has been a ton of fun. But I think we should start moving on."

    "Looks like someone is a sore loser," I teased.

    "Hey, I won nearly half of the time!" he protested.

"I will admit, I'm impressed," I said. "Me and Boris play this a lot, so you were playing against professionals."

"I think you've forgotten, we used to play this a lot of the time together," he reminded me. "I'm a pro too."

"Sure, whatever you say," I said, gathering all of the cards together to shuffle them again.

"Looks like someone has a bit of an ego," he teased back. I rolled my eyes and grinned.

"You're one to talk."

Boris waved a hand in front of our faces to get our attention. We looked over at him and he pointed towards the stove.

"You're hungry?" I asked. Boris nodded.

I turned back to Henry. "How about this: let's have some food first and then we can get on our way."

"I could use something to eat."

"Sounds great," I said. "In that case, wanna help me make some bacon soup?"

"Bacon soup? You mean that stuff all around the studio?" He repeated.

"That's right," I said. 

"That stuff is actually edible?"

"I know it sounds strange, but it's really not that bad."

"Well... I guess I can try it."

"Alright, you stay here. I'll go get some soup," I told him.

I normally kept soup all around the safehouse in random places. I found one can on a shelf, another in a chest underneath my hammock, and another on top of a barrel near the stove. I put the three cans of soup in the pot which was on top of the stove before pouring some in three bowls and bringing it to the table.

Boris dug right in. Henry, on the other hand, stared at it with disgust. I could tell didn't want to offend me, but he really didn't want to eat it.

"I know it looks bad," I said. "I would give you something else, but that's all we have."

"That's alright," he said. "Thank you for this."

I simply smiled before eating some myself. He ate some, but I could tell that he was forcing himself to eat it. I felt bad, but like I said, it was all we had.