Chapter 16: Moving Forward

Y/n's POV:

I didn't tell Henry about how I overheard his conversation with Alice the next day. But he definitely seemed to be more cheerful.

"You seem to be in a better mood," I noted to Henry throughout the day.

"How so?"

"You just look happier, that's all."

"Oh. Yeah, I'm starting to have a little more hope for us."

"What do you mean?" I asked, pretending not to know what he was talking about.

"Well, I was talking with Alice last night and she gave me something." He grabbed the seeing tool from behind the small bookshelf. "She was saying that whoever was leaving these messages might know how to get out of here."

I looked through to see the message on the wall that Henry had seen the night before. It said "She will leave you for dead." I wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, but I wouldn't deny that it was cool.

"Nice to know there's still hope for us," I said with a smile.

"There's always hope," Henry insisted. "And besides, I promised you I was gonna get you out of here, didn't I?"

I was about to respond when I suddenly felt the room begin to shake; it sounded like an earthquake. Then I heard Alice's voice.

"We can't just leave them! Not with the Ink Demon right outside the door!"

Henry and I quickly got up and over to look at her and Tom.

"What's going on?" asked Henry.

"He's coming. We have to move on!" Before she could say anything else, the rumbling began growing louder and louder.

"Tom, we have to let them out!" she begged. She tried pulling on the barred wood that separated us from them in hope to break it. Tom put a hand on her shoulder, shaking his head. Alice looked back at us with sorrow.

"I'm sorry..." she muttered, on the verge of tears. She ran out the door and Tom followed.

"Henry, what do we do?!" I shuddered. "How do we get out?!"

Henry didn't say anything, but instead looked like he was deep in thought. Then he suddenly got a more hopeful look on his face. He went over to the bookshelf and picked up the glass-looking tool that Alice had given him.

"What are you doing?!" I exclaimed. "We have to find a way out, this isn't the time to be messing around with that!"

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing," Henry promised. He looked around with the glass and in front of us was a message saying "take the spoon." Henry walked up to it and pulled it, making a door slide open and inside it was a bathroom which I didn't even know existed there. He looked on the wall again with his seeing tool to see a message which was pointing towards the toilet and said "look inside, you'll need this," then hesitantly opened the top of the toilet tank and pulled out a Gent pipe.

"You're really gonna use that?" I questioned.

"What other choice do we have?" He said. "We're going to need a weapon and we better take whatever we can get!"

He rushed back out and broke down the boarded up entrance to the jail cell.

"Come on, let's go after them!" He said, beginning to run out the door.

"Well I can assure you I won't be using that pipe at all, so you can deal with any fighting up ahead."

"So germaphobic," he scoffed sarcastically.