1 - Danbury Ball

{Chapter One}
"Fine, Lord Bridgerton I bid you adieu!"

According to the much heralded poet Lord Byron: Of all bitches, dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine

If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her
teeth...

My name is Lady Whistledown. You
do not know me, and you never shall. But if you are currently reading these papers of record, then rest assured: I certainly know you...

Perhaps one resides within the
household of a certain Baron Featherington. Should one have a bracket for a face?
Three misses. Foisted upon the
marriage market this season like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless dear mama -- the luckless souls...

Or perhaps one is more fortunate.
Admirably proportioned, impressively refined? Then perhaps... One is a Bridgerton...
A total of eight children in this
most prolific of broods. The rather industrious viscountess and late viscount having produced four perfectly handsome sons and four perfectly beautiful daughters. Yes. Perfect, indeed.

Unlike Lady Featherington, the
widowed Lady Bridgerton has only one daughter on the market this year. Her eldest darling, the season's forthcoming diamond, Miss Daphne Bridgerton..

However may Daphne Bridgerton be overshadowed by a rumoured debutante, Miss Cordelia Moore whom no doubt shall be a great competitor for the highest regarded suitor.

Grosvenor Square. The sixth of
April, 1813. A frenzied sight outside the Bridgerton and Featherington homes on this most momentous of occasions...

For today is the day London's
marriage-minded misses shall be presented to Her Majesty the Queen...
A much anticipated day, when dreams
shall finally be achieved. Hopes, fully realized...
And courses of lives, changed.
For the better. One hopes.

One's triumph at the palace today
invariably signifies one's success on the marriage mart tomorrow...

Pray, it is the Queen who shall
keep the fashionable world apprised of a lady's single most valuable and desirable asset: her reputation.
As such, any lady failing to secure
the court's glowing endorsement shall endure the consequences...

And not just from Her Majesty...

...But from me.
For I have at my disposal a most
powerful weapon that even the Queen lacks. My pen.