4 - Bridgerton Dinner

{CHAPTER FOUR}
"You have never listened to me."

The smile was still permanently on Cordelia's face as she stepped out of the carriage after her mother

The smile was still permanently on Cordelia's face as she stepped out of the carriage after her mother. The pair walked in silence up the steps to their house. Edith paused and put her hand out to stop her daughter making Cordelia bump into her mothers hand and utter and immediate apology for doing so.

Edith ignored Cordelia's words, like she always did. She looked at her daughter in a curious way. "What is with this smile?" She questioned, eyes fleeting between the girls grin and her eyes.

Cordelia's smile dropped and her face returned to neutral. Her mother just always had to ruin her pleasant moods. "It is nothing mother." She unenthusiastically replied and walked through the door and into the house.

Edith chased after her, puffing air out of her nose. "Cordelia I am to be kept up to date with your season." She stated, "If a suitor has made you smile, I must know!" She demanded and followed Cordelia up to the girls room.

Cordelia got to her door and stopped. The memory of punching the other side after being hit replayed in her mind.

"Cordelia I deserve to know!" Edith yelled as she finally got close enough to the girl. "I deserve-"

"You deserve nothing!" Cordelia snapped, spinning around to face her mother. Her chest was heaving as she looked down at her mother. "You do not deserve to be in the know after you did this!" She exclaimed and gestured at her cheek.

Edith scoffed and shook her head at the girl. "You are nothing but a silly girl." She spat, glaring at her daughter who was standing tall in front of her.

Cordelia almost laughed at her mothers response. She had never before been called silly. "I am not a silly girl! I may be the youngest in this family but i am far from foolish." She hissed, taking a step towards her mother. "Mama it is you who is foolish. Not me."

Edith gasped and viciously grabbed Cordelia's wrist. "You show me respect, girl. I am you mama." She barked, squeezing Cordelia's wrist with a smirk on her face. "It is not I who is undeserving. It is you."

Cordelia grabbed onto her mother hand, the one that was wrapped around her wrist, and forced it off. "Why must you hate me?!" She angrily questioned, rubbing her wrist as she stared at her mother.

Edith looked away for a second and then back to Cordelia. "I don't not hate you." She replied, not at all sincere or true.

Cordelia took a controlled breath. "You are a terrible liar." She stated and decided to press on. "Why do you hate me?"

"You have always been a rule breaker." She answered, using her arms to gesture. "You have never listened to me."

Cordelia groaned, not at all satisfied with the answer. She knew her mother wasn't being truthful. Before, while Florence was a debutant, Cordelia made her views very clear. And yes Edith disliked those opinions but she never hated her daughter. She had never raised a hand to her. But then somewhere along the line it changed.