8 - Business

{CHAPTER EIGHT}

"Did you know that Lord Berbrooke had a bastard son whom he abandoned along with the mother?"

Cordelia missed the next few balls. She refused to attend them alongside her mother, but she knew she could not go alone. It would not be proper. Therefore she was simply anxiously waiting for her brothers soon return.

It was safe to say she was putting her foot down.

Cordelia, even though she has strong opinions and a large knowledge, was never one to cause any confrontation or commotion. The girl had now had her first ever fight with Eloise Bridgerton and had also had two run ins with her mother. Apart from those three occasions and siblings squabbles, because they don't count, she's never been overly rude or malicious.

No one would describe the girl as shy. They would certainly class her as polite and kind. But not shy. She sometimes kept to herself but that was more down to her loving some alone time. Which Cordelia believed to be a key factor in ones lives.

The feisty side of her had sprung out during her trip. People she met on her travels didn't appreciate her supposed lady-like and 'obedient' ways. They taught her how to be more confident and take control of a situation.
Something she had never done before.

On the other hand, her mother, Edith. Well she was almost the complete opposite to Cordelia. Constantly engaging in gossip and causing drama within the ton. Her mother was the perfect candidate for a debutante mother. Never taking a break from judging and analysing others.

Edith wasn't at all appreciative to the new side of Cordelia. It was getting her exposed and in trouble. The woman worried that Cordelia told her siblings about the affair. She couldn't handle any more disobedience and disgust.

The pair were once again divided and not just emotionally. There was zero contact even though they both stayed locked up in the house. Cordelia had taken control over the house. Instead Edith was the one that was hidden in her room, a dramatic change in status within the household.

Cordelia took to the study to sort of all of the families finances and other papers. She had learnt how to deal with them because of Anthony. To be honest, the only reason she helped him was to spend more time with him. The girl figured if she spent more time with him, he would surely grow to return the feelings she felt for him.

Cordelia was well aware of his notorious label of being a Rake. Not just a rake but a Rake. It was easily confirmed by the display of hickeys over his chest and neck that were present when she helped him home.

As Cordelia thought about it, there was a lot she helped Anthony with. His families papers, drunken shenanigans, family problems... the list goes on.

Cordelia knew she had to move on. She thought that would happen during her travels. Now she had a massive pool of suitors to choose from, but the only one of her mind was Anthony. She couldn't deny though, that Lord Griffiths sometimes popped into her head too.