2 - Callers

{CHAPTER TWO}
"Cordelia!"

The next morning, although all Cordelia wanted to do was sleep, Edith sent the maids in exceedingly early to wake up the poor girl

The next morning, although all Cordelia wanted to do was sleep, Edith sent the maids in exceedingly early to wake up the poor girl. She was forced straight into a warm bath where her maid, Ellis dealt with the girls unruly morning hair.

Cordelia was squeezed into a corset and thrown into a simple pink gown that had sewn flowers at the top of the dress. Ellis fastened Cordelia shoes around her ankles, something the girl always hated believing she could easily do it herself. She could don her own slippers.

"Thank you Ellis." Cordelia sincerely spoke, smiling at the woman and gently grasping her hand. Ellis smiled back and silently nodded before tidying up the items she used on Cordelia before leaving.

A Lady is always close to their personal maid or hand. However, Ellis and Cordelia had a closer relationship than that. In some way it was like a mother-daughter relationship. Ellis started working for the family when Cordelia was born, and Ellis helped look after baby Cordelia.

Ellis had helped Cordelia with practically everything growing up. When Cordelia's parents had no time for her, Ellis would always make sure to entertain the girl. It's where Cordelia's love of reading came from as the pair regularly used reading as a pastime.

Cordelia let out a deep groan as she thought about what her day would be filled with. Chatting to potential suitors. She had no idea which, if any, males would be coming round to her house. After all, she wasn't the most friendly or sociable at the ball. Luckily for Edith, the family name and Cordelia's name held enough regard for men to still be interested after her poor show.

To make it worse, Cordelia had a dreadful sleep. Her mind was preoccupied with Anthony Bridgerton, more so their tiff. He had never spoken to her in an angry way before. But Cordelia knew it was her fault -she should have never left.

Cordelia wished more than anything that she stayed put.

The Moore has was chaotic with the cooks busy producing many different types of biscuits and teas for the gentlemen callers. The list of goodies supplied went on and on. And all thesis's were cleansing to perfection.

Cordelia sat awkwardly next to her mother on one of the firm couches in their drawing room. Edith had not yet made eye contact with her daughter since she entered the room and it didn't seem she had any interest in doing so. Edith was the type of mother who picked favourite children and loved to compare them. She had done so since Cordelia was a baby.

"When Florence was a debutante, I am sure the callers arrived earlier than this." Edith remarked as she eyed the currently empty room in distaste.

"Indeed." Cordelia hummed, trying to hide her annoyance. She failed as she automatic slouched at the mention of her elder sister, who was the golden child. "Mama there is still plenty of time." She noted aloud, glancing at the wall clock, in an attempt to minimise her mamas annoying comments.