6 - Promenading

{CHAPTER SIX}
"Cordy, why do you wish to marry?"

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight."

Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts
from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed.

Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton.
The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

The news of The Duke's and Daphne's double dance spread like wild fire. It was at the top of Lady Whistledown's list when it came to her newest article. However, Anthony was still set on the notion of Daphne marrying Nigel Berbrooke, despite Cordelia's effort to change his mind.

Cordelia herself, was feeling particularly vulnerable and bare after the events at the Vauxhall ball. It made her feel foolish as it was not her that Lord Berbrooke was being aggressive with. But it caused a load of bad memories to be stirred and return to the surface.

The young girl traveled home home that night and, as soon a she stepped inside, locked herself up in her room. Cordelia spent the whole night stiffly siting on her bed, burrowing herself in blankets, as tears flowed out her eyes. The only comfort given to her was by the newest member to the family; her little ginger cat that was yet to be named. The small kitten rolled into a ball on Cordelia's chest, purring and snoring all night long.

The next morning, with puffy blotchy skin from crying and eye bags from her lack of sleep, Cordelia was very much not looking forward to what he mother had planned for her day.

Her mothers favourite suitor was set to be promenading with Cordelia. It was arranged before Cordelia had confronted her mother about her affair. And the girl wouldn't dare change the agreed upon plans last minute. It would simply be rude and she didn't want to tarnish her image.

Like usual, Cordelia was bathed, made up and dressed up by her hand-maid Ellis, allowing the woman to do as she pleased. Ellis somehow always knew what looked best, and she always made sure Cordelia felt confident in herself. Something Ellis started teaching her at a young age.

Cordelia was wearing a dark blue gown that, ever so slightly, blew in the wind as she walked glumly next to Lord Greenwalsh. The conversation was rather stiff and did not have a good flow to it. Their conversations surrounded the strict topics of marriage and children, which made Cordelia's skin crawl.

Luckily Cordelia was saved when Daphne Bridgerton and the Duke came across their path. Daphne was quick to give the girl a hug, easily noting the awkwardness Cordelia was currently stuck in.