7 - Mother Dearest

{CHAPTER SEVEN}
"No. You're telling me no!"

Cordelia left the Bridgerton's house with a sinking feeling of guilt

Cordelia left the Bridgerton's house with a sinking feeling of guilt. The girl immediately regretted snapping at Eloise and letting herself get wound up.

Cordelia had left swiftly after completely snapping at Eloise. She didn't even take the time to bid farewell to any of the other Bridgerton's.

To make matters worse, Cordelia's mood only worsened when her mother decided to make her presence known. It was the first time Edith had spoken to Cordelia after their big blown up argument. When all was revealed.

Edith didn't hesitant to relax back into the exact same person she was before. There was yet another ball to attend and Edith seemed to be driven to find Cordelia a suitor.

The woman was barking orders left and right. Edith also started to do things she normally wouldn't. She watched as the maids got Cordelia ready, nit picking what they were doing until she herself was satisfied.

Cordelia was absolutely astonished. Her mother never even apologised for her actions or tackled the subject. She was straight back to being overbearing and controlling. The girl was sick of it.

But, Cordelia had no energy to argue. She had already used up all her energy. Wasting it on a pointless argument with her best friend. So, she sat still as her mother insisted on the maids redoing her hairstyle for the fifth time.

Edith stood stiffly behind Cordelia, narrowing her eyes as she analysed every detail on her daughter face. Calling out to the orders to fix a feature every so often. The words didn't just thoroughly irritate Cordelia it also made her feel incredibly vulnerable and bare. Her mother was judging her, running a find tooth-comb over her.

It was what her mother did best. Judging. She was constantly doing it. Making judgments on people, clothing and items. Later on gossiping to others about it. Edith represented everything bad about the ton, she was the embodiment of it.

Cordelia's older sister was exactly the same. Florence was a very arrogant girl, always believing herself to be better than the others. Especially her little sister. Florence often referred to Cordelia as the ugly duckling, while she was the beautiful swan.

Although it put strain on the sister relationship, Cordelia has never hated her sister. It mainly just made her think worse in regards to her mother. After all it was her poison that was plaguing Florence's innocent head.

Back before Florence was in search for a partner, the household was a lot more peaceful. Cordelia's father often acted as the peacemaker whenever things got out of hand. But he was gone leaving Cordelia alone with her monster for a mother.

It was sad for Cordelia to think, and it gave her immense amounts of guilt, but she didn't love her mother. She didn't like the woman and couldn't find any fraction of love for her. Not even a minuscule amount.