Chapter Twenty-Two

"I'm telling you this place has the best sandwiches in town," Porco opened the door for you.

Porco had decided that instead of dropping you off at home, the two of you could go get sandwiches at Porco's favorite place as an impromptu date.

"I'll believe when I eat it," You poked him lightly in his ribs and he squirmed at the sudden contact.

You laughed as he rolled his eyes and directed you to the counter. There were a few people in line ahead of you, giving you plenty of time to look at the menu. You skimmed it and your eyes landed on the perfect sandwich- well almost perfect. There was one problem. There were pickles on it.

I'll just ask for no pickles.

When it time for you and Porco to order, the cashier with the name-tag that read Petra politely excused herself and her co-worker took her place at the register. He attempted to maintain a neutral expression but it was obvious he had no interest in providing friendly service and he had no name-tag.

"Welcome to Eld's Sandwiches, what do you want?" The cashier asked.

"I'll take a number two with light mayo, a medium drink and she'll have-" Porco waited for you to continue his sentence.

"A number five with no pickles and a medium drink please," You finished.

He punched in the order, "Right okay it'll be nine dollars and seventy-eight cents."

Porco pulled out his wallet and handed over the cash, "You got the part about the no pickles right?"

For some reason Porco's question seemed to tick the cashier off and through gritted teeth said, "Of course. Your order will be right out."

Porco nodded and then threw you a confused glance. You shrugged your shoulders and Porco got his change. You took it upon yourself to pick a table while Porco went to fill up your and his drinks. You chose a table near a window. As you waited for Porco, you studied the restaurant you were in. The restaurant itself was a nice size with white walls and pops of red and blue on the chairs, booths and tables. There were quite a few people seated inside but it wasn't overwhelming crowded. The white noise of other people's conversations was calming in a way. Porco finally reappeared with both drinks in hand.

"I hope the sandwiches are better than the customer service," You joked.

"They definitely are. But tell me what's wrong with pickles?" He raised an eyebrow at you.

"I don't like them."

"What's not to like?"

"The taste, the scent, the texture, the way the taste lingers on the bread even if you remove them...shall I go on?"

Porco shook his head, "Not necessary."

The cashier from earlier came up to the table and placed the sandwiches in front of you and Porco and quickly walked away. You noticed that your sandwich did in fact have pickles on it. You tried not to make a big deal about it but apparently the look on your face caught Porco's attention.

"What's wrong?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"Oh it's nothing," You reassured him.

"That's not your 'it's nothing' face."

"They put pickles on my sandwich. I'm going to remove them right now."

"But you said the taste still lingers."

"Yeah but it's not a big deal."

Porco quickly stood up and grabbed the plate your sandwich was on, "One moment."