09. Hot Wheels

"I would shun the light share in evening's cool and quiet, who would trade that hum of night"

"THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE STAKEOUTS THAT I'VE SEEN ON TV."

"Sorry to disappoint you," Gordon replied.

Rosalind was sitting in the passenger seat of Gordon's car. They were parked outside of the Iceberg Lounge, watching who went in and out. It was pouring rain once again. Batman had instructed them to radio him when they saw Penguin leave.

Sitting there with Gordon was awkward. Rosalind knew the man probably had a million questions for her. After all, he had seen her with both Bruce Wayne and the Batman in less than 24 hours.

"So," Gordon said. "You have some... interesting friends."

"I could say the same about you," Rosalind looked at the man."I mean, come on. Look who we're both working with."

"I guess so," Gordon chuckled. "I forgot you were close with the Waynes. I remember always seeing the two of you in the paper."

"Gossip columns you mean," Rosalind rolled her eyes. "Could barely go outside together without someone snapping a picture and slapping an assumption on it."

"Oh so you weren't- you're not...?" Gordon trailed off, trying to find the right words.

"No!" Rosalind shook her head. "God, no. We're friends. He's my best friend. We grew up together, stayed close, y'know."

"Ah," He nodded. "Reclusive kind of guy, Bruce Wayne. Keeps to himself. Pretty surprising to see him out yesterday."

"He's always been quiet," Rosalind shrugged. "But there's a lot more to him than people realize."

"Really?" Gordon scoffed. "Like what?"

"He's smarter than he lets on," She said. "He's really observant, like he analyzes every step he takes. He's funny when he wants to be. And he's... a good friend. He always has been. He's a big softie deep down."

"Is he really?" Gordon chuckled again.

"Big time," Rosalind couldn't help but smile. "I remember when we were in high school I did all the shows they put on. Bruce always said he couldn't make it but there were flowers in my dressing room every single night. Pink roses because one time I told him I hated the red ones. I told him that exactly once... and he remembered. He still does. I got them from him again for my birthday last year."

"Anything yet?" Batman's voice came through the radio.

"Not yet," Gordon replied before turning back to Rosalind. "Sounds like he's sweet on you."

"You're not the first person to think that," Rosalind laughed and shook her head. "But no. Oh but you should have seen him when I left for college."

"What are you talking about?" Batman chimed in.