10. Paternal Eternal

"The self is not so weightless nor whole and unbroken, remember the pact of our youth"

ROSALIND DIDN'T DREAM LAST NIGHT.

She had fallen into a blissful, dreamless sleep. Rosalind was thankful for it because she knew that if she did dream last night, it would have been nightmares.

But she wasn't concerned about that now. She was concerned that she was currently curled up against Bruce in bed. Rosalind often slept with her arms around a pillow. But apparently last night she had replaced her pillow with Bruce. Her head was still resting on his chest and his arm was around her. She blinked and exhaled sharply in surprise, careful not to move in case he was still asleep.

"You're up," Bruce said, his voice groggy.

Okay, so he wasn't still asleep.

"I've been scared to move for the last fifteen minutes," He said. "I didn't want to wake you."

"God, sorry," Rosalind untangled herself from him, her face red. She was grateful it was still dark in the room. From the window she could see the sun beginning to rise. "I guess I'm a bit clingy when I'm asleep."

"As opposed to any other time?" He asked.

"Shut up," She chuckled, wiping the sleep from her eyes. "Sorry though."

"Don't be," He shook his head. "That was... that was honestly the best I've slept in a while."

"Who knew all you needed was a slumber party?" She said. "But thank you, Bruce. Really. Last night was... bad. I needed someone here. So thank you."

Bruce smiled at her. A real, genuine smile. Rosalind felt her face heat up again. She cleared her throat.

"I'm gonna shower," She said. "Can you take Copper out for me?"

Rosalind climbed out of bed and stretched. Her whole body ached. This last week had been the workout of her life.

Bruce made no move to get out of the bed. In truth, he was just as tired as she was. But his fatigue was long forgotten as he watched her and hung onto every word she said. He tried his hardest to ignore how the sheets smelled like her. How he now smelled like her. He avoided his eyes as her shirt raised to expose her midriff when she stretched. He didn't think about how pretty she still looked with tired eyes and wrinkled clothes and messy hair. He didn't think about how nice it felt to wake up with her in his arms.

No, he didn't think about any of that. He couldn't.

"Are you okay?" Bruce asked her. A question they had recently both asked each other more times than they could count.