12. The Kids Aren't Alright

"Letting go if what might have been
and letting something else in"

"Letting go if what might have beenand letting something else in"

EVERYTHING HURT.

Rosalind woke up feeling sore. Whatever Bruce had given her yesterday had worn off. She groaned and stretched out, careful of her bandages. She was surprised to be able to stretch across the entire bed. She opened her eyes to find it empty. Bruce was gone.

Rosalind rolled over and looked at the clock on her nightstand. It was almost noon. He had let her sleep in.

Her whole body ached. She let out a wince as she sat up. Maybe she should actually go see a doctor. She was sure Bruce had done a good job patching her up but he was certainly no professional.

She couldn't stay in bed all day, injured or not. Her father had been one of those "walk it off" types of parents so that was kind of engraved in her mind. Copper on the other hand, was snoring soundly as he curled up at the end of the bed. Slowly and carefully, Rosalind got dressed before limping towards the door. She heard voices as soon as she opened it, startling her from her thoughts.

"I know she's here!" An all too familiar voice came from downstairs.

Rosalind made her way down the hall and stopped at the top of the stairs. There in the foyer stood Bruce, his arms crossed over his chest and a scowl on his face as he blocked another man from coming in any further.

Everett Foley, Rosalind's ex boyfriend, stood on the other side.

"Look, I just want to check on her." Everett said.

"That's a first." Bruce scoffed.

"Yeah," Everett rolled his eyes. "Like you ever-"

Everett had noticed her at the top of the stairs. He looked worried. The last time she had seen him he had broken up with her. He had honestly done it very politely, all things considered. But at the same time Rosalind wished it had been much more dramatic because then she would actually have a reason to feel bad about it. But now here he was standing in front of her as if nothing had changed.

"Linny," He smiled, a look of relief washing over his face. The old nickname he used almost knocked Rosalind down the stairs.

Bruce turned around quickly, seeing her at the top of the stairs and moving to help her. But Rosalind held up a hand to stop him and carefully made her way down the stairs.

"You should be resting," Bruce said.

"Impossible to rest at times like this," She sighed before looking at Everett. "...What are you doing here?"

"God, Linny," Everett looked her over, reaching out to touch the bandages on her arm. "Are you okay? I saw what happened on the news, the livestream. I didn't even realize what was going on at first but then I saw that it was you of all people? Fuckin' horrible. Terrifying. I was so worried about you."