Chapter 1 ~ Try not to stare, princess.

~Layken's POV~

I wonder if humans are the only living creatures that ever feel hollow inside. I don't understand how my body can be full of whatever bodies are full of. Bones, blood, organs, yet my chest sometimes feels vacant. Someone could scream in my mouth and I'm sure it would echo inside.

My insides continue to pour themselves out with each and every word my father throws at me. "It's only one dinner, Lake." My father pleads, hoping I'll say yes. "No." I grit out. It's the first time I've ever turned down my father.

"Lake." His way of telling me I'm done with your bullshit, Layken Winfield. "I don't even understand why I have to." I raise my voice. "I hate him, father!" I yell. If there's anything worse than being a princess, it's having to attend these stupid dinners.

I've gone to four already, and all for the sake of marrying a prince. Fortunately for me, they all turned me down. I'm glad they did. I hated them all. Anything that has to do with a marriage contract. I hate it. I'm only 18, I shouldn't marry a man I don't love.

"It's the law, Layken. You haven't even met him yet." He has a point, but it doesn't mean he's right. I scoff, turning away from him. "I'm still not going." I tell him, but before I can walk away, he grabs my hand, pulling me back.

"He's my best friend, Lake." Dream's father. "You'll love him." Love. What a stupid term to describe the prince of Sylvian. "But I haven't even met him, father." I throw right back at him. Two can play his game. He goes quiet, and let's go of my hand.

But when I thought I've won, my mother enters the room. "Layken, dear, what's all the commotion?" She stands in between my father and I, resting both her hands on my shoulders. "She doesn't want to meet Prince Dream." My father answers for me.

I shiver at his name. "Nightmare." I correct him, brushing my mother's hands off of me. "Don't speak about him like that!" My father yells, but my mother just laughs. She peppers my face in kisses, and I try not to back away, but I still end up doing so.

They treat me like I'm a toddler. And I understand why. I'm their only child. Their miracle baby, they call me. My mother has been infertile for years now, and I was born a preemie. "She's just nervous, honey." She tells my father, but still doesn't stop cooing at me.

"I was just like you when I met your father." She runs her hands up and down my arms. "You'll love him, Lake." Of course, I will. I'll love the thought of slaughtering him after this dinner. That is if I ever end up going.

"And with that gift of yours, he'll love you even more." Everyone in the royal bloodline is born with a gift. Mine just happens to be beauty. I've had four guys turn me down, and not because of my looks, but because of the way I act.

"Mother, it'll be the same." I try to change her mind. "They'll turn me down like always. They'll think impolite, spoiled, rude." The list goes on. All of which I do on purpose. I want them to turn me down. I want them to think bad of me. I want them to reject me.

And all because I've turned them down first. I've hated all the guys before I even met them. He's selfless, my father would tell me. Wrong. He's handsome, my mother would tell me. Wrong. He's a dick, I'd tell myself, and I'd be right. "No, Lake!" She smiles like what I just told her wasn't true.

"You know, girls would kill to even speak to a prince. You get to marry one." I'd kill to never even meet one. "Come on, dear, let's pick out a dress for you." She takes me into my closet before I can say anything else, and before I know it, I'm going to the goddamn dinner.

<<Time skip>>

We enter the castle doors, and I've never seen my mom smiled harder.  She wasn't like this with my other suitors. What's so special about this one anyways? I can hear the king of Sylvian greet my father, but I don't look.