Chapter 7 ~ He will never be one in mine.

~Layken's POV~

"Your Highness." I hear a voice perk from behind me. I drop the box from my arms, alarmed. It's late, and I've spent the whole day unpacking my stuff, having forgotten most of the stuff I had brought. I turn around in only a nightgown, slightly embarrassed.

"May I help you?" I ask the maid who's stood, motionless by the door. She sends me an apologetic smile, and curtsies. "Prince Dream has sent me to help you with your stuff." She tells me happily like it'll be the best thing she'll ever do while she's here, working in the palace.

I don't know where he's been all day. He left as soon as he finished moving my boxes into the room, and hasn't shown up since. Even for dinner. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe I'm just not worth his time.

I smile, not wanting to come off as rude. "I appreciate it, but I'm nearly finished anyway." That's a lie. The unopened boxes behind me say it all. "You should go rest, we have quite a big day tomorrow." She looks at me warily, but nods as soon as she realizes I'm being serious.

She leaves the room without another word, and I throw myself on the bed, distressed. We have an interview with Sylvian's News Program tomorrow. And although our photos have been featured in multiple newspaper headlines, posters, and alike, questions don't stop flooding.

I've only been here a day, and I already feel like giving up. I'm going to be Sylvian's Queen in a month, and I can barely even be a princess. It's been hard without my parents. Without Everlyn. Without familiarity.

I always thought adulthood would treat me well. Maybe not. Maybe things really don't get better after all. And maybe this isn't as worse as it can get. It's going to get worse. It's going to go terribly. And things are going to end ugly.

I feel trapped in a place where I'm supposed to feel free. I'm supposed to be happy. I'm supposed to feel like the luckiest woman on earth. And if I could take it all back. If I could go back to Everlyn and appreciate it more than I did before. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm just homesick.

I immediately sit up when I hear someone enter the room again, and I look over to see Dream who doesn't even glare at me. Payback for forgetting good morning, I guess. "Where were you all day?" I ask, somewhat mad he disappeared without telling me. Why do I care anyway?

"Training." He answers dryly, dropping what seems to be practice gear onto the floor. Aren't those supposed to be left in the training room? "Do you usually bring those in here?" I ask him, and he looks at me as I gesture to his stuff on the ground.

He looks at me like he's somewhat offended, and I immediately bite my bottom lip, a little embarrassed. I probably shouldn't be judging a prince. Especially a prince like Dream. I stand up, keeping my head down, as I walk back towards the boxes.

"I'm sorry." I mutter silently, before cutting open another box. I don't look at him, but I can feel his stare against my skin from where he's stood, and eventually he leaves for the bathroom. I don't think I have a right to ask him anything he doesn't want me to know, so I don't force him.

<<Time skip>>

As soon as he leaves the bathroom, I immediately feel the room go a little more humid. He must've taken a shower. But not only do I feel that, but I also feel the tension grow. The tension that has been lurking around us since that day we were first introduced to each other.

"I thought Mary helped you." I hear him walk up beside me. He sounds to be in a better mood, so I don't hesitate to answer. "Mary?" I question, not laying my eyes off my stuff in the box. "The maid." And right when I thought he was in a better mood to talk, he sounds mad.