Chapter 16 ~ Always fighting me.

~Dream's POV~

Silence permeated the room as we both just stared at each other like we both had nothing to say. We both knew there was a lot. She stared at me with a stone-face, her shoulders tight. I didn't know what it was, but there was something about it that made me crave her as much as I did last night.

I didn't mind the silence. I needed it. There were a few things I found more irritating than incessant, pointless conversation. The weather, the latest blockbuster, who broke up with who. Who the fuck cared? Still, something compelled me to look away.

"It was for your own good." I said over the silence as I sat on the bed staring into nothing. I could see Layken turn her body further away. She didn't respond either. Fine. She could be mad all she wanted. The only thing I regretted was not smashing Blondie's camera altogether. It wasn't like I cared about her silent treatment. Not one bit. I never will care.

I sat on the bed, unconcerned about the enraged woman who was less than 20 feet away. I was able to ignore the nagging feminine presence. If I wanted to, I could ignore Layken for the rest of my life. After all, that was what she wanted. She hates me, and I hate her. Final.

The silence has never been louder.

Fuck it.

Of course, I cared. Of course, I couldn't ignore her. Of course, I don't hate her.

I stood of the bed and walked over, resisting the urge to kiss her like I haven't already. She swallowed hard, from my presence next to her, and the sight of that small throat bob sent an unwelcome jolt of desire though my blood. It's the little things she does that drove me insane.

I hadn't fucked anyone except my right hand in months before her, and the celibacy was addling my brain. Last night I was someone I couldn't control. "Here." I pushed a brand-new phone, the latest model, which wasn't available on the market yet and cost me several grand to her chest.

"Your current phone is clearly broken, since I haven't received so much as a text from you all day." I said icily. She looked confused, and it lingered for a beat before it melted into a teasing expression. My heart kicked.

I made a mental note to discuss this with my doctor during my annual checkup. "Did you miss me?" She asked, teasingly. My hands curled around nothing. "No." The last thing I wanted anyone to think was that I missed her.

"You showed up in Everlyn and bought me new phone because I wasn't replying to you for just one day." Her eyes gleamed with mischief. "I think that amounts to missing me." She swayed a little, and another unwelcome jolt rushed through me again.

"You think wrong. I showed up because I thought you were in trouble and I bought you the phone in case you needed a new one for emergencies." That was a lie, Layken. "In that case..." She pushed the box toward me. "I don't need it. My phone works fine. I've just been busy."

"Doing what? Attending a silent ashram in the middle of the desert?" I knew that photoshoot wasn't the reason she was here. "That's for me to know and for you to never find out." A vein throbbed at my temple. "Dammit, Layken, this isn't funny."

"I never said it was." She threw her hands in the air. "I don't know what you want me to say. I fought you, you fucked me back, then you said you were sorry, and I think we both agree not to ever do that again. I thought you wanted space, and I gave it to you." She pressed her lips together.

"I know everything's been messed up between us since that night we first had dinner together. And maybe we need to... not spend as much time together. We can both live on our own, and when the time comes, we'll get married without arguing over an engagement ring."