2. to you, a naive girl

II
TO YOU, A NAIVE GIRL

IITO YOU, A NAIVE GIRL

You weren't sure why, but Armin just seemed to attract trouble to him on the daily. Despite the fact he would mind his business - the town's bullies would naturally gravitate toward him. Was it because he was an easy target? It wasn't as if Armin fought back, but at the same time, he never ran away. He would cry, but it seemed eventually that same reaction had the bullies tired of him. Not to mention they'd always run away when you approached. So then... Why did they insist on picking on Armin of all people?

He'd always say that he hadn't lost since he hadn't run away - and that refusing to give them what they wanted was the best way to go about it. You weren't sure how much you agreed with that - if you even agreed at all. There were better ways to go about it, he didn't have to get himself beaten to prove a point.

Yet you found yourself respecting that aspect of Armin. He was terrified, but he never ran away. Though that didn't stop you from chastising him for his recklessness as you'd drag him away from the three. It was two years of it - Armin accepting beatings before they got tired of him, or you showed up and knocked them onto their asses. He would always apologize for making you worry and having to help him out, he was embarrassed about it. But he'd never say it, he didn't want you to think it went unappreciated.

Today was one of those days, that's what you assumed as you found a brunette boy peaking at the blonde from behind the building he sat by. It was weird, you weren't even sure Armin even realized he was here. But you had, quickly you made your way toward the two.

"Who are you?" It was a sudden question, one that had the boy turning slowly to look at you. "You're not trying to start a problem with Armin, are you?" He wore a red scarf, paired with a brown shirt and sweater. It was a weird thing to wear - it wasn't cold out. At least not yet. But that wasn't what caught your eye. It was his eyes, teal and shiny, just dulled with boredom. Even though you'd never seen him before, you found yourself recognizing him.

The sound of your voice caught Armin's attention, making him turn his head faster than the brunette had to look at you. "[Firstname].." He blinked, then shifted his attention toward the boy next to you. "Who are you?"

"Why do you let yourself get hit like that?" He completely ignored the question the two of you had asked him, instead opting to ask his question.

Getting onto his feet, Armin     answered. "If I run away and let them know that they hurt me.. Then they'll win." He sniffled, wiping his tears away with his sleeve. "So if I don't run away, I won't lose."

The boy's stare lingered for a moment, unlike you - he found himself agreeing with that wreckless mindset. "I'm Eren." He finally introduced himself, and just like that, the sense of familiarity came back to you. Despite the fact you had never spoken to him before or seen him on the street - let alone even know about him - you felt as if you knew who he was.