11. try and keep your sanity

XI

TRY AND KEEP YOUR SANITY

You never ended up telling Marco what you heard - giving him some excuse that you hadn't heard a single thing either. It wasn't as if he would know you were lying anyway, and his attention was distracted by the yellow smoke signaling victory anyway - he was focused on redrawing now. He didn't have a problem with allowing you to get to Eren now, a decision that rested fully on your shoulders - because that voice in your head was finally quieting itself down.

You felt hesitant to let Marco go - but after considering it - you left him by himself. He was far from a coward, he'd be fine. And he'd be with others - that meant he'd be a whole lot safer from danger, that is if Reiner and Bertholdt ever figured out that the two of you had been there.

You were quick to get to the gate, using up as much gas as you possibly could to get there faster - ignoring any titans on your way there before you made it to the gate - just in time to find Erens titan on the floor - smoke heavy in the air that obscured your vision.

You didn't dwell on it any longer, instead hurrying to get to your friends. Eren seemed to be passed out, Eren supporting him up as Mikasa placed a hand on Armin's back. He really had plugged the wall, proving to the rest of you that he you guys really could rely on him.

Armin looked up at you in acknowledgment, Mikasa sparing you a glance as well. But their main concern was Eren - they couldn't know if he'd even wake up. You were sure he would, if there was one thing Eren loved to do - it was to fight. Fight against titans or pain, or even that titan he couldn't control earlier.

... Well, you hadn't been there. But you were sure that was the case.

"How are you guys holding up?" You asked quickly, your gaze shifting from the two of them quickly.

"I'm sure we're fine, but Eren - "

You turned your head around at the sound of sudden rumbling of footsteps. You weren't sure how none of you had seen the two approaching titans, but you didn't move - as pissed as you were, you even shake as the titan on the right reached out for you - Mikasa and Armin gasping behind you as well, but time seemed to move too quickly for either of them to react.

Or maybe it was the fast zipping of ODM gear and the titans falling over so suddenly that had them stunned in place. Definitely an appropriate reaction, it would've taken a group of soldiers ten times the manpower to take them out.

His back was faced toward you, but you could see the.. Cloak he wore waving in the air, adding that extra touch to the Wings of Freedom on the back. Eren was quick to point that detail out - you were under the impression he was passed out, but of course, a sight like this would've had him impressed.