4. to you, during introductions

IV
TO YOU, DURING INTRODUCTIONS

IVTO YOU, DURING INTRODUCTIONS

You really had tried your best to mind your business as the chief yelled at new fresh-faced cadets, the people he seemed to verbally harass weren't in some sort of pattern. There wasn't any similarity between the people he decided to yell at - all he did was get real close and scream.

You recognized Jean Kirstein - the boy you had met a few years back. He was standing proud and tall, honorable if it weren't for his aspirations. But someone wanting to live a good life and being honest about it was respectable. To some, however, it was childishly dumb. It seemed Keith sided on that belief, headbutting the boy to eat dirt.

Then there was Marco, apparently, he wasn't from Trost. So then he must've just had the habit to wander around, right? His reasons for being there were similar to Jeans in a way, but more... Childish.

And then Connie Springer, he didn't seem like the smartest. You'd think if he didn't know which way to salute - he'd copy those around him. It's what you would've done. Then again, you weren't in his position.

Sasha Braus, the poor girl had been put on Shadis's shitlist by the get-go, only to be slapped in the face with no lunch and running miles around the field. What a devil the chief was. Finally, it was your turn to be walked past. Only then did you turn away, eyes disinterested in hopes that he would walk right past you. There was no reason for him to interrogate you - he had already gone and dug somebody else into the floor with embarrassment.

Hopes never come true in this world, you learned that much pretty quickly. It was just reappearing in front of your eyes as the commander peered down upon you with his sunken eyes. He was figuratively looking down on you. (literally too, if you're shorter.)

"Weren't you staring just now, don't you know how to mind your business, cadet!?"

You blinked, eyes coming up to meet his. You didn't want to make it on his shitlist, so you changed your expression. "I do, sir! I'm usually more discreet." Shadis stared his gaze hardening further into that glare of his. You weren't sure if his wrinkles were a result of old age or his anger.

"Tell me your name and district before I decide to put you on my damn shitlist!"

You mentally cursed yourself, after going out of your way to steer clear of his anger, you managed to make it anyway. He could tell by the pucker of your lips that he managed to rise something out of you. "[Firstname], from Shiganshina district, sir." You pulled the best neutral expression you could.

Now it'd been one... - Or had it been two - years since you reunited with your friends from Shiganshina. It didn't feel the same as it used to, not having anywhere to return after hanging out, but your friends were similar to how they used to be. It was better than being all by yourself.