9. to someone i'll regret meeting

IX

TO SOMEONE I'LL REGRET MEETING

A special titan that was fighting against its kind, it was enough to shock the strongest of soldiers - namely Mikasa, who seemed to have a much harder time wrapping her head around the situation than anyone else. He made his way toward headquarters after beating the life out of the last straggler titan. Of course, it wasn't going to be the last one for long, as there was still a humungous whole in the wall.

"Hah... That one makes the others look like jokes!" Connie laughed before turning his head to look at you, his smile disappeared once his jaw dropped. Now that he took the time to look at you, you were a wreck. Your hand couldn't chose between resting on your stomach, or on your back. It looked like your cadet jacket was getting scratches and tears too - like you were doing some sort of parkour out there. Once you turned to look back at him, he blinked.

"... New shirt, huh?" He asked, trying to play it off as if he wasn't staring at your horrible condition. He only just remembered that hard fall you took earlier. "It's cool...! Too bad, you chose today of all days to try something new..." He tried to lighten the mood, seeing as nobody seemed to be in high spirits. So you smiled along with him.

"You're the first one who noticed it..." You admitted, taking a step away from the hole in the wall. "I thought it was cool, but now I'm starting to think I wasted my money." You laughed breathlessly, turning your head around only to be met with Jean.

"... I think it looks nice." He blurted out, taking some sort of defensive stance to prove his words. You stared at him for a second, blinking to process his words before you laughed again. Jean was never one to go out of his way and compliment you, so you weren't quite sure why he was starting now. Maybe he just wanted to be a good memory in your mind whenever you died.

"... I also thought that move you pulled earlier was cool..." He admitted, lowering his head to rub the back of his neck. That had you silent, he was being genuine - and you sure he as relieved that you were alive. He was always that way, always so concerned about you, yet he never let you know that.

"You're full of compliments today." Now your smile was genuine - you didn't think you'd find yourself smiling in your situation, but it's funny how things play out. "You lead everyone here, didn't you? I think thats pretty impressive, too. So don't sell yourself short."

Connie tilted his head, "Jean didn't even sell himself short! He's taller than me, lucky bastard..." He grumbled, kicking a piece of rubble out the building.

Jean, who was having a hard time replying to you - turned his head toward Connie. "That's not what she meant! It's a saying!" He balled his fist as he yelled. "You can't possibly be that dumb!"