5. to you, in the rain

V
TO YOU, IN THE RAIN

VTO YOU, IN THE RAIN

It was a mystery to you as to how your friends always seemed so eager to train - well, at least they never complained. It was such a vast contrast to you - there was always a complaint lingering at the back of your mind. Although you knew what you were getting yourself into, you couldn't help but have a snarky remark of two of the grueling training you were put through on the daily.

But you always held your tongue, you wouldn't say anything - not when nobody else around you seemed to have a problem. They were all so determined, they had a reason and goal for being there. Yet you.... You felt like an outsider looking in when you saw them, just so eager to get better.

Like Reiner for example, he was the perfect image of what a future soldier should be like. Actually, he seemed to be at the top of the class when training first began, though after a few weeks, Mikasa already began to out preform him. He was similar to you in a way that the two of you seemed like you'd already been doing it years prior, well, the same went with Mikasa, Annie and Bertholdt. They all seemed talented. And none of them complained
Of course, there were times you spotted Annie slacking off. You wanted to join her - to stand around doing nothing in particular or walk to make you look busy - but you heard the snide remarks Eren would mumble about it. He wasn't one to respect slackers, you didn't want to be the person behind his distaste. If your friend ever mumbled something bad about you, you weren't sure how you'd take it.

That's why you'd sit at a distance, watching your friends continuously train while you wiped your sweat away with the sleeve of your shirt. There were times Mikasa would sit by you, although she never looked tired or worn out - but she'd place a hand on your and say "If you're tired, don't be afraid to turn in for the day. I can join you." You would always consider it, but by the end of the day you would just return to training - despite how tired or worn-out you felt. Just for the sake of not being viewed as less than. Now that you thought back on all the memories of your years of training, you felt silly.

"Hey! Are you taking a break?" Your head jolted up at the sound of a new voice, but you didn't dare look back to see who it was. "Can I join you? I'm exhausted! All of these guys are like... Battle machines!" He didn't wait for an answer, instead he sat himself right next to you with a long sigh. Finally, you turned to face him, eyes wide and blinking slowly.

Connie wasn't well respected in the group of scouts, far from it - he was more of a joke to some. But to you - you thought he was brave, you almost admired him. No, you had admired him. Having a mindset where you didn't let others' opinions about you get to you was admirable. He wasn't afraid to say how tired he was among those who seemed endlessly training - he wasn't afraid to sit down next to you despite never having spoken to you.

That's why you stared at him for a long moment - so long he began to getting weirded out by being on the other side of your stare. He almost began to regret sitting by you, until you finally spoke.