restaurANTeur

"This is awesome. Don't you guys love double dates?" Fletcher wrapped an arm around me.

"Uh, Fletcher, this is not a double date," I said, looking at the three at the table with us.

"Yeah, Fletcher. Olive and I are here on a date. You and (Y/n) are just here killing the mood," Angus said.

Olive elbowed him. "Sorry, Angus, but I don't see you as more than a friend. Actually, I mostly just tolerate you because you're there."

"That's what my mom says about my dad. We're practically married!" Angus gushed.

"It's nothing personal. I just don't want to waste any brain capacity on frivolous emotions like love and romance," Olive admitted.

"Hi, folks." The chef walked out. "Welcome to IHOW."

"Hubba-hubba," Olive breathed, making me smirk.

"I'm Graham. It's a beautiful day to be alive unless, of course, you are a chicken."

"Wow. You're a chef?" Chyna questioned.

"Fletcher's your age and he barely knows how to use a spoon," I teased.

"I was born to cook," Graham explained. "When I was little, I used the milk out of my baby bottle to make Camembert cheese."

"Interesting lactoid." Olive snorted at her own joke. "Of all mammal milks, hippopotamus milk has the highest mucus content. Which is why a hippo calf would call its mother with its characteristic..." Olive snorted loudly.

"And suddenly, I'm not so hungry anymore." Chyna set down her spoon.

~~~

"Why does Fletcher have a blindfold on?" I asked as I walked into the room.

"We're giving Olive practice on flirting," Chyna explained. "How do you flirt?"

"I don't. I make casual conversation," I admitted.

"You have to be doing some flirting," Chyna reasoned.

"Hey, Fletch, you're going to my recital tomorrow night, right?" I asked.

"Of course," Fletcher replied.

"Great. I'll make sure to reserve a ticket for you," I said, walking out of the room.

~~~

"Okay. When Olive gets here, we need to make sure she and Graham are attracted to each other," Chyna said.

"Way ahead of you," Fletcher assured her. "All we have to do is give each of them one of these high-powered electromagnets." The magnet drew a butcher knife toward us. I ducked behind Fletcher as it stuck to the magnet. "I'm open to other suggestions."

We sat down at the table. Graham walked out. "Hey there, friends. I'm going to starch you off tonight with some potatoes. Get it? Starch? Potatoes? Sorry if that joke was a little corny."

"You know who really loves puns?" Chyna said.

"No one?" Fletcher guessed.

"Olive!" Chyna glared at him.

"Well, I can't wait until she gets here, because we're throwing a vegetable party. And, I've invited mushrooms, and onions, and peppers. Oh, look. We have a special guest at the party. Elvis Parsley. Why, thank you. Thank you very much."

We held out his plates to him. I took a small bite. I smiled. It was delicious.

"Is that salt?!" Graham shouted. "Did you hear me invite salt to the party?"

"No, but Elvis Parsley said it was cool," Fletcher whimpered.

"How dare you speak for Elvis Parsley," Graham snapped. "You don't know Elvis Parsley! Elvis Parsley is not your friend. Elvis Parsley is my friend."

"Take it easy. It's just a little salt," Chyna said in disbelief.

"A little salt? A little salt! Well, why don't we just add a little rat poison?"

"Yeah, that stuff doesn't work," Hippo said as he passed.

"We cannot let Olive date this maniac," Chyna said.

Olive walked into the restaurant. "Hey, guys! What's going on?"

"What's going on?" Chyna stood up. "What's going on is Graham is..."

"My, don't you look as pretty as a peach," Graham commented.

"What kind of peach?" Olive smiled. "Freestone peach, a clingstone peach, stink blossom peach?"

"Obviously stink blossom," Graham said.

"Oh, you." Olive grinned.

"Speaking of peaches, who'd like to come to a cobbler party?" Graham asked.

"That sounds awesome!" Olive said. "Shoemakers are known for their wild shindigs."

"He meant the other kind of cobbler," I corrected her.

"Wow, you two have nothing in common," Chyna added. "You're like oil and crazy. Now, let's get out of here."

"Yeah, I think that's a great idea. The three of you should get out of here. Waitress, can we get their food to go, please?" Olive asked.

"No problem!" Lexi said. She dumped our food in a styrofoam box and kicked it across the restaurant.

~~~

"We've got to do something about Graham. He's got me so on edge, I can barely sleep in class," Fletcher explained.

"Look, let's try and cut Olive some slack. I mean, it is her first crush," Chyna reasoned.

"I think your math is a little off." Angus pointed at himself.

"Her point is, I'm sure the glamor will wear off soon," I agreed.

Olive and Graham walked into the room. "Hey, guys! We have big news. We've decided to move in together! We're going to share a locker."

"Let me handle this," Chyna breathed.

My phone buzzed.

Alistair:

Coming?

"Uh, guys. Rehearsal." I rushed out of the room.

~~~

"Imma be on the next level. Imma be rocking over that bass treble."

My team was focusing on the dance as I sang. The mic was attached to my ear, so it was a few centimeters in front of my mouth. It wasn't as close to the crowd would hear my heavy breathing. We finished, each of us posing differently.

"See, this is why we love you," Grayson said.

"Gray, stop hitting on the girl," Maddie teased.

Grayson, Maddie, Teresa, and Nick. We were all one extensive family. All of them say I'm the motherly figure. At least, that's what they called me because I was the one who stopped them from getting in trouble.

"Thanks, guys. Ready for this?" I asked, putting my fist in the circle.

The five of us smiled, holding our fists out. We formed a star, which is what we were.

Stars.