Chapter 24

Attempt no.4

By the time Lan Wangji’s birthday rolled around, two months later, Wei Wuxian decided he was going to have to try harder this time. Maybe that had been his problem all along. Each and every time he had tried, he had decided spur of the moment, when he felt the time was right. This time, he would make it the right time.

He decided to backtrack from his original plan of a simple proposal. Sure, Lan Wangji didn’t care if he got all the bells and whistles in life, and usually preferred it without. But dammit, did he deserve it.

Maybe that was why all of his previous proposals had failed, Wei Wuxian thought. It was the universe’s way of telling him to do this right.

So, this time, Wei Wuxian pulled out all the stops. He made reservations for the fanciest restaurant in town, the kind only the rich and snooty frequented. He would tell Lan Wangji it was for his birthday, which was partially true. Then, at the end of dinner, he would get out the new ring he had bought.

It would be perfect. Just what Lan Zhan deserved.

Wei Wuxian was so excited and nervous he could barely stand it. The whole week leading up to their fancy dinner date went by in a haze. He kept reminding Lan Wangji, “don’t forget, we’re going out for your birthday on Friday,” to which Lan Wangji would roll his eyes and reply, “thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten between now and five minutes ago when you reminded me the last time.”

Finally, Friday came. Wei Wuxian got up earlier than usual to make breakfast for Lan Wangji,  writing, “happy birthday Lan Zhan :)” in syrup on his plate. There were no angry phone calls to field this time, and no kitchen fires. Finally, things were going his way.

Wei Wuxian went back to their bedroom to rouse Lan Wangji from sleep. He gently placed a kiss to his silver head of hair.

“Good morning, birthday boy,” he said softly. I made breakfast.”

Wei Wuxian nuzzled his face into Lan Wangji’s neck, until finally he pushed the blankets aside. The morning sun filtering in through the window painted Lan Wangji’s skin in brilliant white light, making him appear paler than normal.

Wei Wuxian fidgeted all morning, and well into the afternoon. He could barely sit still, his mind reeling. He sent Lan Wangji texts throughout the day, little notes to let him know how much he loved him, and how happy he was that Lan Wangji had been born. He felt like an overdramatic teenager, and he didn’t care. He wanted Lan Wangji to feel important and loved.

Lan Wanji’s responses were few and far between, which was not unusual. That was okay. Wei Wuxian would have plenty of time to spoil Lan Wangji that evening. Lan Wangji always spoils him, this time it's his chance to do it. 

The two got ready for their date side by side, putting on the fanciest clothing they owned. Lan Wangji was rather quiet, only speaking when Wei Wuxian started the conversation. It was normal for others,but with Wei Ying he talked more. Wei Wuxian wondered if Lan Wangji was depressed at something in office. Though that wasn’t usually the sort of thing that got him down.

The restaurant was even fancier than Wei Wuxian had anticipated, and he felt extremely underdressed. As they walked up the drive Wei Wuxian could see Lan Wangji eyeing the establishment with trepidation. Wei Wuxian pushed his own nervousness aside as he opened the door for his Lan Zhan, bowing slightly. Lan Wangji chuckled at his cuteness.

The whole thing was rather overwhelming, but Wei Wuxian managed to enjoy himself, hoping that Lan Wangji was too. Wei Wuxian could feel the ring burning a hole in his suit jacket pocket all throughout dinner. His moment was coming up fast.

In his excitement, Wei Wuxian almost missed the way Lan Wangji picked at his food, not even touching his wine glass. And he almost missed the pinched look on his face, even as he smiled at Wei Wuxian’s jokes. Wei Ying brushed it off as nerves, and felt slightly guilty for bringing him to a restaurant that was probably a little out of his comfort zone.

But then the waiter was bringing the check, and Wei Wuxian knew it was now or never. He placed his hands on the table, palms up, and smiled at his beloved partner. Lan Wangji smiled back warmly as he placed his hands in Wei Wuxian’s.

Hey Lan Zhan,” Din started, feeling more confident than the last four times he had tried this. “I love you. A lot. You mean the world to me, and I’m so happy you’re in my life. I never thought I would settle down, and yet here you are. You’re so amazing, you know? And, I’d really love it if…” he took one of his hands out of Lan Wangji’s and brought it to his pocket, bringing the ring out gingerly.

“Lan Zhan, would you…?”

And then Lan Wangji was dashing away from the table, hand over his mouth, knocking his wine glass to the ground with a loud shattering noise. The patrons at the neighboring tables glared in annoyance.

Wei Wuxian froze in shock. What… what had happened? Had Lan Wangji known what he was about to do, and then panicked because he didn’t want to say no in public? Is that why he had looked so nervous in all the times he had seen him today? Wei Wuxian’s heart sunk to his stomach. Maybe the reason none of his previous attempts had worked was because it just wasn’t meant to be.

Wei Wuxian felt like crying. A waiter came by to clean up the broken wine glass, reassuring Wei Wuxian that it “happened all the time.” He gave the waiter his credit card, lamenting on what an awkward ride home this was going to be.