2 - solitary confinement

It had ended worse than Edward had expected. Alice predicted two outcomes with Bella. She saw Bella becoming part of the family, or she saw Edward killing her. She knew he wouldn't be able to stay away from her. And he hadn't, at first.

But then he saw that girl with the shaved head. And then her visions changed, becomings more cloudy and each outcome less certain. In other words, things were no longer black and white.

They say things happen for a reason, and Edward thought maybe he saw that girl for a reason. Like somehow finding another person whose mind he couldn't read might mean that Alice could have faults too.

Regardless, the situation with the tracker, James, had created more problems than he could have possibly imagined. Edward hadn't anticipated having to make a choice as deadly as life or death. Bella's life was in his hands back in Phoenix.

She had vampire blood starting the spread through her system, and Edward saw Alice's original predictions flashing before his eyes. Either he drew the blood out of her, and drew too much and killed her, or he failed and she turned. Somehow, neither had happened. He'd saved her. But now what?

He heard her voice, her screams replaying in his mind more than he could bare. But more than that, he heard her cry,

"Edward! It burns! Make it stop! Make the pain stop!"

And in the hospital the next day, she asked him why he stopped the transformation. She told him they could've finally been together. That's when he left the room, because he'd finally realized the truth.

Bella had been in love with the idea of him. She loved the idea of holding the interest of the handsome, mysterious, untouchable guy. She fell in love with the idea of forever, but not necessarily forever with him.

And even if that wasn't the case, to want to give your life away without a second thought for a forever purgatory? Perhaps Bella wasn't as grown as he'd been led to believe. The bottom line was the world was incredibly dangerous for someone like her. He'd always known that. But he failed to realize he wasn't the only predator out there.

He hadn't talked or seen her since Phoenix. He had to think about things, was his excuse. Alice could always see if Bella decided to come over, and Edward would be long gone before she ever arrived. He didn't mean to avoid her, but he didn't want to hurt her more than he already had by ending things indefinitely.

But with school starting in just a few days, he knew his time of avoidance was coming to a close, and that he'd have to make a choice soon.

~~~~~
Another chapter setting up our story. Nothing too exciting, but I'm excited for the next chapter :)