8 - english assignment

"Taken any illegal substances?" Pandora asked.

"Again, no," Edward replied.

They'd been going at it for hours, trying to find a topic they were both passionate about to argue. It wasn't that there wasn't a topic they weren't both passionate about, but often times the topics they were passionate about were topics they agreed upon.

"Death sentence?"

"Mmm not really passionate one way or the other." She replied.

"Can I tell you guys now what topic you'll decide upon?" Alice asked, suddenly appearing in the doorway.

"No!" They both yelled simultaneously.

"Reconvene at a later time?" Pandora asked.

"Sure, how about after dinner," Edward suggested.

"...only if you cook the animal."

Edward laughed. "Of course. Though we don't have much food here..."

"So you want to see my house, is what you're saying?" Pandora asked.

"Is that an invitation?"

She sighed. "Why not?"

She felt it only fair to invite him in her house, considering she'd been at their house working on the English argument all weekend. Of course she'd go home after hours of unsuccessful brainstorming, but she'd be back the next morning to repeat it over.

Both were convinced they only were spending the time together because they had to. But Alice knew different. In truth, she knew Edward and Pandora were more alike than they'd ever admit. Both were tortured souls, convinced they were the worst things in the world. Only next to each other did they feel slightly above worse. They felt "okay."

Edward sidled in the passenger seat, after losing Rock Paper Scissors, denying him the chance to drive. He turned on the radio, only to turn on Led Zeppelin. "How old are you?" He asked jokingly.

"Apparently my soul is a very old man in a very young body," she replied.

"Ditto," he replied, watching her as she drove. He watched the sun get caught in her eyes, showing off the beautiful grey, orange, blue and green colors in her hazel eyes. Then she put down the sun visor and her eyes humbled into a more dull shade of hazel, but with his eyesight, he could still see the colors just fine.

"What're you looking at?" She asked, eyebrow raised curiously.

"You," he said bluntly, immediately regretting the weight of his words.

"Like what you see?" She asked with a grin, winking at him.

"Don't get ahead of yourself."

They laughed as they pulled in her driveway, and as they stopped, he looked at her curiously. "Where are we?"

"My house."

"My eyesight is exceptional, but even I can't see what's not there."

She laughed. "Here," she said, indicating him to pick her up.

It was his turn to laugh. "What are you doing?"

"You can only see the house if you're a witch or carry a witchy object. So. Pick me up," she instructed.

He obliged, picking her up in a fireman's carry and walked upon the now visible porch. "Welcome home," he joked, switching her into a bridal carry. He finally set her down. He hadn't thought about it, but if Bella taught him any lessons, it was how to be gentle with a mortal. Not that her safety was in the back of his mind, he just trusted himself more. That, and the fact that she could merely pull his power out of him momentarily with simply intent, and touch.

He looked around, surprised at how...lonely it all felt. Sure, it looked cozy. But with all the family pictures and portraits hanging on the walls and Pandora being the only family member in sight, no wonder why she wanted to get out.

"Is this it?" He asked.

"You know it's not," she replied, beckoning him to follow her upstairs.

He thought beside the feeling of loneliness, the place was quite charming. He particularly loved the landing with the reading nook. He immediately started searching the library. "Have you read any?"

"Only the classics," Pandora replied. "I didn't really care too much for the unpopular novels... I suppose you've read them all though."

"Not all, but I have had an eternity to enjoy such things."

She sat in one of the chairs in the reading nook. "I'm usually not an optimist, but I'd assume if I had to become some...immortal being, being able to enjoy and experience truly everything would be incredibly fulfilling."

Edward smiled knowingly. "I know what you mean, but you can't experience everything. It's impossible, even for someone like me. I'll never be able to grow old, or have a family."

"Is that all that's left on your to-do list?" She joked.

"You know what I mean."

"I do. But do you want that?" She inquired. "I understand hating the idea of forever when you've done almost everything there is to do. But I think you missed an important component."

"What's that?" He asked curiously, dropping into the chair next to her.

"Love. Someone once said that everything in the world is either about love, or the lack of it. I would argue growing old and wanting a family means nothing if you haven't found 'the one.'"

"It's more than that. It's about having the choice. If you could never age, and you had no guarantee that you'd ever meet said person, would you still want to live decade after decade?"

"For the chance at love? Yes."

"Well then. I think we've finally found our topic." He concluded.