13 - battlescars

"Newborns are the most powerful of our kind," Jasper explained. "We're about 10x stronger when we're first created, but experience and strategy can trump that strength. That's what we're here for."

They practiced and practiced and practiced. The Gemini coven needed the most training, just due to their time of inactivity and their lack of experience fighting vampires. They found that they'd probably be best at defending Bella and keeping the vampires far away from her, when the wolves and the Cullens would be more on the attack.

To get an advantage, the group decided to stake out in the forest. The higher they are, the better they'd be able to see the newborn army coming. Currently, that's where they were settled. Several tents were set up, each housing various members of the Gemini coven and Bella, of course.

Edward came to visit pandora, who was in a tent alone. She was cold, almost as cold as he was, and he felt terribly that he couldn't do anything about that. She wasn't shivering and chattering like bella had been before Jacob had come to accompany her, but she was still wide awake.

"Penny for you thoughts?" He asked.

"I'm sure my thoughts match those of my family," she replied. She was worried about Kai, obviously. And though the situation and danger had always been real, laying in the tent was the first time she actually felt the reality.

"I won't let him hurt you," Edward promised.

"You won't have a choice," Pandora replied.

"If he so much as lays a finger," Edward started.

Pandora suddenly snapped. "You don't know Kai like I do! He's a fucking sociopath, Edward! He's great at pretending, at manipulating. And now he's vengeful and has a fucking army, on top of all that. If he wants to hurt me, he will. And there's nothing you can do about that, aside from hoping you hurt him first."

Edward sighed and laid down next to her. He wasn't shocked by her sudden outburst of anger. He understood her. She was frustrated, and possibly even a bit scared. "Okay," was all he dared to say. "Is there anything else I should know that would help me?"

Pandora groaned and turned to face him. "I'm sorry for yelling."

"It's quite alright, love," he reassured, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear, eyes never leaving hers.

"There's just so much that could go wrong. And I can't know for sure if our plan would work."

Ah yes, their plan. The Eclipse. It would give them enough power to send Kai and Victoria into a prison world, with ideally most of their army. They didn't necessarily want to kill the army, the army were just a bunch of gullible pawns. But if they had to, they would.

Edward pulled pandora close, without even thinking about how his cold body wouldn't warm her up at all. Once he realized, he tried to push her away, only for her to hold on tighter. "I'd be cold anyway, I'd rather be cold this way," she said.

~~~~~

When pandora woke, Edward was gone. He'd left a note, though.

I'll be back before the fight gets here.

Love,
E

She took a moment to stretch her legs, and realized everyone else was already up. She sat by the rest of her coven, who was reassembling an ascendant and going through the game plan one more time.

"It's time," Edward announced, walking towards the group. "They're about a few miles out. Not long now."

Pandora tried to calm herself, but taking deep breaths didn't work. Unlike the rest of her coven, they were sure in their abilities. Hers were unpredictable. She touched the various amulets strung across her neck, drawing their power. She was fine, but she didn't feel any sense of security.