5 - pleasantries

Note: Alright so I know I mentioned it a little bit before, but I feel like in this story, A) edwards not really ready for a relationship yet and B) the OC isn't stupid enough to be blind to the tell-tale signs of him being a vampire, especially since she's used to them. In an ideal world, this would be a slow burn, which I think it'll still be, just differently than I had originally intended. I don't want them to know what they are, especially this early in. I'd like keep a bit of mystery between them, but the way this is going, that's not going to be the case. They've only known each other a day, and they know somethings up. So for now, as I've said, this is a first draft of sorts so I may edit this once everything is said and done into a story more suited to my liking, but for now I'm just going to write unapologetically. Xoxo.

Also TW of sensitive topics related to death.

~~~~~

Pandora hadn't been able to sleep well. Maybe it was the fact that the house surrounded by forested areas was still scary when you were alone at night. But more likely, her restlessness was the cause of being in a small town that happened to leave her out numbered with vampires.

She knew, and she thought he knew that she knew, but she wasn't sure if he knew what she was. If he hadn't figured it out yet, he would soon. And from there, she decided she'd let fate take its course. Whether she'd be going out by her own brother, a coven of vampires, or old age years down the road, she'd still go out eventually. Death was unavoidable. It was the only sure thing in life.

She supposed now was as good of a time as any. She had always been a pessimist, a realist. And she knew nobody would really care if she did die. She had nothing to live for. But she felt she had no cause worth dying for either. And that kept her alive. She didn't want to die. But she wasn't afraid to.

Her morning was the same as it had been that past few mornings. She woke up to her alarm, and opened up the curtain, with a flick of her wrist. The house was almost entirely infused with magic, thus she had no problem performing it when she was 'home.'

She trudged downstairs and put on a pot of coffee, and looked out the window in the meantime. She hated being rushed, especially when she was tired, so she woke up extra early to compensate for her blissfully sluggish mornings.

She showered, not because she needed to, as she'd already done so after the frightful day yesterday, but because it was a cold morning, dewy morning. She rubbed the towel over her head, the hair that was there drying instantaneously.

She threw on a thick sweater and carpenter pants, and went about her day. The drive the the high school seemed shorter now that she dreaded her own arrival. English class was the first class she'd see him, and see him she did.

"Alright for our first assignment, you'll need to partner up. I'll let you choose, if..."

The room chaotically turned as everybody looked to partner up with whomever, and it seemed edward almost move in slow motion as he went to take the empty seat next to Pandora.

"I missed the chance to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Edward Cullen."

"I know, but by all means," Pandora gestured to the seat next to her.

"Thank you."

"Now that you've all settled in, let's discuss the assignment. Ideally we would've discussed first, but who cares what I want," the teacher sighed. "You are you partner are going to argue a topic in front of the class. I want you to choose a topic you're both passionate about, hopefully something you both have different stances on. If you have the same stance, you're more than welcome to argue the opposite side if you do it well enough. Get to work."

"Well we could do political stances," Pandora suggested, after a few moments of silence.

"I'm not overly...political," Edward admitted.

"Hmm. Different diets?" Pandora prompted.

Edward felt a smile breaking to his lips. "I have a feeling that'd work, but I'm not sure mine would be... school appropriate. But you already knew that, didn't you?"

"Suppose I did. Would there be any possibility that this knowledge would come to... bite me in the ass?"

Edward was smiling now. "I would say there's much at stake for the both of us should things go wrong."

Pandora smiled a little, feeling more at ease to be joking about the topic that was really what they both wanted to be discussing. "I have no interest in creating problems, nor do I have anything to gain from it. It's what, 7 on 1? Not looking good for me."

"The odds would even out a bit more than that." Pandora sent him a questioning glance, but he shook his head and dropped his head closer to her. "Why don't you sit with us today, we can talk more later."

" 'Us?' 'We?'" Pandora asked.

"Yes. Me, you, Alice and jasper. We can talk more about the actual English assignment then too," he said right before the bell rung. He was out of his seat quickly, and sent her a wink that only she saw on his way out the door, leaving her to stare in awe.

Maybe she wouldn't die today.

~~~~~
Okay so I actually like how this sort of turned out. They'll be friends sooner than I anticipated, but I don't really mind that. I don't really think the Cullens are people who really want to come off as people you should be afraid of, so this chapter I feel like is fair.