Stronger | Cole Caufield

One thing I've found is that I have a lot of inspiration if I work an idea off of a song. . . I don't know how y'all feel about that, but I'm going to work like that for a little bit. Comment if you don't like that, and I'll do my best to write without it. Thanks, and I love y'all!

- - - - -

#22, Right Wing for the Montreal Canadiens
Word Count: 2.3 K

"I met her on a Monday evening
She was standing outside of the park and ride
AndIsaid, 'Hey ma,where you been?'
'Been looking for awoman like you for all my life'
And she said, "Hola, talk to me, before I have to leave"
And one day we could be
Maybe more than two lost souls just passing by"
- "What Am I", Why Don't We

"Yeah, I'm getting in a cab now. I'll be at your place soon." I explain to my best friend, Adley, as I hand the cab driver my bag and he puts it in the trunk of the cab.

"How soon is soon?" Ad asks.

I groan. "I don't know, Adley. I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll let you know my ETA once we leave, which will be in just a minute, alright?"

I can practically hear her eye roll. "Yeah, whatever. You're lucky that I love you. See you soon." We say goodbye and I hang up, thankful to be off the phone and just relax for the next hour or however long it takes to get to Adley's house from here.

I'm about to get in the car when a guy runs into the passenger side of the car, making me jump. "Sorry." He tells me, his hazel eyes wide. "I'm going to ask you for a favor, and I swear I wouldn't ask if I didn't have a choice, but this is pretty close to an emergency."

I nod quickly, still shocked from his collision and he sighs in relief. "Is there any way I can take this cab with you? I have a game in two hours and my flight was delayed coming in. I'll even pay for your ride, too."

I hesitate, but my heart takes over. What if you were in a rush and needed to get somewhere quickly and someone told you they weren't willing to share a cab with you so you could make it on time?

"Yeah, go ahead."

I climb in quickly and he rushes around the back to toss in one suitcase. He slides to the middle seat in the back and places his other two bags on the seat beside him. "Thank you so much. You're a lifesaver, really." The cab driver asks for his address. "Bell Centre, please." He tells the driver and we immediately start our drive. "I'm Cole, by the way."

"Y/N," I tell him. "What type of game do you have to play? I don't live here, and I don't know a lot about sports." I explain.

He nods in understanding. "I'm right-wing for the Montreal Canadiens." He smiles, realizing I probably don't know what that means, either. "I play hockey. Professionally."

"For the NHL?" I ask, shocked.

He nods. "Yeah, for the NHL. I don't mean to brag, I promise. You asked, and that's the only reason I'm even mentioning it." He tells me seriously. "If you don't live here, what are you doing in Montreal, if you don't mind me asking?" He adds curiously.

I grin. "I'm spending my spring break with my best friend who lives here. She said the weather is supposed to be really nice this week, but that it'll be cold enough at one point that we might even be able to see an outdoor hockey game. One of yours, I'm assuming."

He smiles. "Spring weather here is pretty nice. As for the weather, your first couple of days here should be cold. We have a game tomorrow night if you want to tell your friend that."