Darling | Thomas Bordeleau

#23, Center for the San Jose Sharks
Word Count: 2.5 K

I quietly shut the door behind me, grinning widely. Harrison has no idea that I got back from the Bahamas early, so I'm here to surprise him. And I absolutely cannot wait to see the look on his face when he realizes that he gets to spend the last day of spring break with his girlfriend.

Heather, Harrison's mom, meets me in the hallway and smiles. "Hey, Y/N. I wasn't expecting you." She says, hugging me.

I smile, pulling back. Heather has always been like a mother to me. "We came back a day early and I wanted to surprise Harrison. Is he home?"

She nods. "Right up in his room. It's good to see you, honey."

"You, too." I call over my shoulder as I head up the stairs. I'm so excited to see Harrison that it isn't even funny. I've missed him this past week.

"Surprise!" I call as I throw open his bedroom door, but I stop short. A girl is laying on top of him, kissing his neck, as he holds her by the waist. My heart feels like it shatters when he pulls back, and the sight of his face makes me sick. Her red lipgloss is smeared across his lips, just another reminder of this all.

"Oh my God."

Harrison's eyes widen and he shoves the girl off of him. "Wait a minute, babe—"

I shake my head, glaring at him as tears well in my eyes. "You self-centered, conniving, cheating asshat." I growl, angry and hurt. "I hate you."

He shakes his head, standing. "Babe, it's not what it looks like."

My eyes narrow as the girl turns to face me. And it's exactly who I thought it was. "You know what? You two are great for each other. Cheating boyfriend and best friend. You will be perfect." I snap before spinning around, slamming the door behind me and hurrying down the stairs. I need to get out of here.

"Y/N? What's going on, honey?" Heather asks, concerned, as I reach the bottom of the stairs. "Oh, why are you crying?"

"Did you know?"

Her brows furrow. "Did I know what? Did something happen with Harrison?"

I hear footsteps behind me and see Harrison hurrying down the stairs, Madeline hot on his heels. Heather gapes at the two, speechless.

"I didn't know, Y/N, I promise. I am so sorry, honey." Heather whispers.

I nod. "Thank you so much. You're an amazing woman and you're like a mother to me. But I can't be here anymore. Thank you for loving me like your own." I hug her quickly before escaping, knowing the dam holding my tears back is dangerously close to breaking.

- - - - -

I slam the door closed behind me, finally letting myself break. The tears immediately begin to fall and I squeeze my eyes shut, my hands shaking. Holy fuck. I can't believe it. Harrison was cheating on me, with Madeline, my best friend. I was so happy to come home early today so I could see him, and it all ended like this.

I collapse onto my bed and bury my face against my pillow. I end up throwing it against the wall, though, because it smells like Harrison. He and I took a nap together here just a few hours before I left for vacation.

Someone knocks on my door and I glare at it. "Holy hell, go away, Jacob, you asshole." I yell, angry and frustrated. It's been a really shitty day and I really don't want to deal with my brother right now.

"It's not Jacob, darling. Now, open up so we can talk about it and I can help you feel better."

"Thomas?" I whisper, my voice breaking. "What are you doing here?" I ask, standing up and slowly walking towards the door.