My Person | Ethan Edwards

#73, Defenseman for University of Michigan, drafted to the New Jersey Devils
Word Count: 2.8K

"I was lookin' for a long time
I never found nobody like you
I saw you order up a Mai Tai
And suddenly I wanted one, too
Got your name, got your number
And we talked 'til they turned on the lights
I was lookin' for a long time
Never thought that night I'd find"
- "My Person", Spencer Crandall

Ethan's POV:

I take a seat at the bar and nod at the bartender, who holds up a finger to signal that she'll be a minute. I just nod, checking my phone. My friends Brendan, Luke, Matty and Thomas are supposed to be here, but all four of them are running late. Figures.

The bartender finally comes over to me, wiping her hands on her apron. She pushes her hair back from her forehead, sighing. "Hi. Sorry, we're packed tonight and we're understaffed, so we all have our hands full." She explains.

I shake my head. "No, you're fine."

She nods. "What can I get you to drink?"

I shrug. "I'm not a picky guy. What do you recommend?" I ask curiously. She's gorgeous, and I'll take any chance I can to get to know her.

"I do make a killer Mai Tai. Wanna try it out?" She asks with a huge grin.

"Sure."

I watch her as she mixes the drink, enthralled. She obviously knows what she's doing, making the drink with exact precision. Before I know it, she slides it across the bar top to me before disappearing to go serve another customer. I sigh in annoyance. I really wanted to talk to her, but I guess that isn't in the plans for tonight with how packed the bar is.

The drink she makes me is delicious, making me even more intrigued. I wonder how she got into this business? Maybe the same way I got into hockey.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I groan, taking it out.

Little Hughes:
not gonna make it, buddy. sorry.

Me:
What? What happened?

Little Hughes:
stuck in traffic. we're just gonna turn back around and head back to the cabin. have fun, tho

Me:
Whatever, man. This is what I get for leaving your slow asses 🙄

Little Hughes:
at least you've learned your lesson 💯 a-plus for you

Me:
🖕

I toss my phone onto the bar with a sigh. So much for guys' night out.

The pretty bartender comes over to me again. "You okay? You seem a little. . . disappointed." She observes as she starts making another drink.

I shrug. "It was supposed to be my night out with my former teammates since we're all on vacation together. We all play hockey for different teams, so most of us don't get to see each other often except when we play against each other. They're stuck in traffic, though, so they're heading back to the cabin we're staying in." I explain.

She nods. "That sucks. But, uh, if you want some company, I get off in an hour. We can do something, you know, to keep you busy so you don't have to think about your friends."