Heartfirst | Jamie Drysdale

Well, y'all, it's been a while. It's been hard trying to get myself to write. I've been through two breakups in the last six months and it's caused me to be kinda depressed, but I'm here. I'm going to do my very best to write more for y'all. Taking two English classes right now kinda messes with that but I'll do my best 😂 Thank you to everyone who has stuck by me and continues to read even with my sporadic updates. I love you all so, so much 🫶

~ Bryn

- - - - -

#6, Defenseman for the Anaheim Ducks
Word Count: 2.0 K

"Met him at a party
Accidentally brushed his body
On the way to get a drink at the bar
I couldn't wait 'til later
Talking in the elevator
Then we're kissing in the back of the car
That voice in my head says to slow down
But it can't see the way you're looking at me right now
It may not be next week, what I need
Then again, maybe it might be"
- "HEARTFIRST", Kelsea Ballerini

I squeeze my way through the bodies, just wanting to order a drink so I can go sit down. My sorority sisters got here a little earlier than me, and decided not to get me a drink, "in case I didn't make it."

And people wonder why I'm questioning my decision to join one in the first place.

I finally make it up to the bar, brushing past someone as I do. Our hands brush and I stop for a second, stunned. Because the tingle that went through my entire body caught me off guard.

What the hell just happened?

"I'm sorry." A guy with dark hair, about six foot, tells me.

I shake my head quickly. "No, it's okay." I whisper, my eyes locked on his brown ones. Okay, I'm probably acting a little weird right now. But do you blame me? I just got sparks from just brushing hands with this guy.

I think I'm allowed to act a little crazy.

"I'm Jamie, by the way. Would you like a drink?"

I snap out of my stare and mentally wince at my stupidity. I was just creepily staring at this guy. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

"Um, yeah, that'd be great."

Jamie nods and steps up to the bar, me following. He orders a drink for himself before turning to me with a raised eyebrow. "What would you like. . .?"

"Oh! Um, a Pepsi would be great."

He nods and orders it before turning to me. "What's your name, by the way?"

I want to slap myself for being so rude. I let the guy order a drink for me, yet I can't even tell him my name?

"Y/N."

He smiles. "That's a beautiful name."

I feel my entire face heat at the compliment. "Thank you." I mumble, fighting the instinct to fan my red face. He has me so worked up, and for the life of me I have no idea why.

"So, Jamie, what do you do?" I ask, trying to make conversation. It's the least I can do when he just ordered me a drink

"I play hockey." He says with a huge grin.

"Ooh. I don't watch a lot of hockey, but it's a cool sport. What level?"

He laughs. "NHL, so the big leagues. It's still kinda surreal to me to be playing at that level, but I'm proud of myself for getting this far. It's a big deal to me."

"That's amazing. I know I don't know you very well, but I'm proud of you, too. That's a huge thing for you."

"It really is. Growing up, playing in the NHL was my dream. And now, somehow, I've made it. It's crazy to me."