Slow Down Summer | Matt Boldy

#12, Left Wing for the Minnesota Wild
Word Count: 2.2 K

"Your shades on my dashboard, shoes on my floorboard
Lived in that old Chevrolet
We were two Roman candles, too hot to handle
Two hearts that couldn't be tamed
Yeah, we knew what was comin'
And laughed it off like it was nothin'
Oh, but time kept on runnin' and runnin' away"
- "Slow Down Summer", Thomas Rhett

"Get your feet off of my dashboard," Matt whines while playfully swatting at my feet. I slap at his hand, laughing all the while.

I roll down the window and shake my hair out of its ponytail. "It's too hot for this," I whine.

Matt just laughs. "Yeah, well, this is Minnesota. Imagine how it is in Florida and all those places. Plus, we're going swimming. You'll be cooled off soon." He assures me as we finally pull up to the lake. I see Jack, Connor, Trevor, Cole, and Alex's cars already parked and get excited. I'm the only girl in the friend group, which can be sort of awkward when you're dating one of the guys. I make it work, though.

Connor hasn't hung out with the guys before, seeing as he's a couple of years older and didn't play USNTDP with them, but I'm sure he'll fit in anyway.

As soon as they hear the car door close, Luke Hughes is running right at me, soaking wet from swimming. "Luke!" I yell in warning but to no avail. He scoops me up and effectively soaks my clothes and me.

"Put her down." Matt sighs, and Luke listens. I stare down at my clothes, mentally high fiving myself for having the forethought to put my bikini on underneath my clothes.

I strip off my shirt, grinning at Matt. "You coming, Bolds?"

He just blinks once, not tearing his eyes off of my body. "How am I supposed to focus with you looking like. . . like that."

I frown, glancing down at what I'm wearing. It's a simple outfit: high-waisted bottoms and a bandeau top, both black. "What's wrong with it? I thought it looked good." I ask, confused.

Matt must see the look on my face, because he's quick to reassure me. "You don't look bad, you look amazing. That's the problem." He tells me with a frustrated huff.

I raise an eyebrow. "Are you, Matthew Boldy, jealous?"

He rolls his eyes. "Jealous implies I wish I had what someone else has. I have you all to myself." He declares with a huge grin. "You're my girl. Plus, I know none of these guys have a chance with you. You're too good for them."

All of the guys call "hey" to that, making me laugh. Matt just smiles at me, though. "My point is that you're beautiful and that bikini just emphasizes the fact, which will make it difficult for me to spend any time with the guys today."

I sigh. "How unfortunate that would be," I reply and lean up to kiss him. "But thank you for the compliment. I love you, too, Matty."

He spins me around so I'm facing the lake and then slaps my ass, making me gasp. "Go swim." He tells me with a shit-eating grin.

"Boldy is a kinky man," Trevor yells.

"You're gross," Luke calls over him, and I laugh as I jump into the water. It doesn't take long for me to adjust to the temperature of the water, and I'm immediately pulled into a game of football. Jack, Alex, Quinn, and Cole are on one team and the other team is Connor, Luke, Trevor, and I.

Matt just watches, amused, as we play football in the water. The game is chaotic, but that's what is fun about it. Cole is in charge of blocking me and he's constantly jumping up and down while trying to intercept the ball since I'm a couple of inches taller than him. I find it absolutely hilarious. And Luke keeps trying to knock Quinn over, and it's a pretty even split over who is going to win each time. Quinn's a natural defenseman in all sports, but so is Luke. And Luke has the advantage when it comes to both height and muscles.