Chapter 12

JAEGER

I wasn't going to tell her that she would be helpful with killing the vampires, that would make her feel good about herself. So I decided to tell her I was using her as bait instead—which was true too—because it would make her feel inferior. 

I left the cabin to go look for something to eat. Kidnapping was much more demanding than I thought. I only left when she woke up though, in case vampires came while she was still unconscious. At least now that she was awake she could scream if a vampire came while I was gone, and if she screamed loud enough, I would hear. But if she didn't then, well...

We were in the cabin on the outskirts of the village Herre which had been attacked a couple of months ago. There were cabins on the outskirts of all the villages, but no one ever stayed in them because of how secluded they were. 

I got to the village and entered the different houses, rummaging through cupboards and grabbing all the non-perishables I could find. I figured Izzy was just as hungry as I was so I made sure to grab enough food for the both of us and...

I paused, playing back my thoughts. Was I being considerate?

No. No, that couldn't be, I had never been considerate in my life. I had never thought of anyone but myself, but then again I've been alone for most of my life. I decided to stinge Izzy just so that she didn't think I was being considerate—because I wasn't—and because I didn't want her to replenish all of her energy just yet.

With my sack stuffed with food, I made my way back to the cabin, wondering whether I would find Izzy alive or not. There was always the possibility of a vampire catching her by surprise and killing her before she had a chance to scream.

I entered the cabin and choked on a laugh. Izzy was still in the cabin and on the chair, but the chair had tipped again and she was on the ground. 

"Did you miss me that much that you tried to get out of the chair again to come and see me?"

"I was eager to get out of the chair to come and kill you," she told me.

"How long have you been like that?" I asked as I entered the cabin, walking past her to place the sack on the counter.

"Long enough," she said, raising her eyes to look at me. "Lift me up, would you?"

I leaned against the counter and cocked my head to the side, "so you want my help?"

Her lips curled into a sneer but she managed a, "yes."

"After admitting that you wanted to kill me?"

"So?"

"I just, well that really hurt my feelings," I couldn't help the way my lips curved into a wicked grin. "Apologise, and I might just help you."

"What?!"

"What?" I asked innocently. "It's your fault you're on the ground, after all."

"That's because you tied to a freaking chair!" She shouted. "Was I just supposed to sit all well-behaved and wait for you?"

"Yes," I said then turned my back to her as I faced the counter, emptying its contents. Most of it was tinned foods. "You hungry?"

"What do you think?" She snapped.

"I don't know, that's kind of why I asked."

She let out a long, deep groan, and I could tell she was struggling to control her temper, but eventually, she ground out, "I'm sorry, now help me up."

"My pleasure," I said, but first I dished the food, emptying the tin of beans into a bowl.

When I was done, I raised her chair and grabbed one of my own, placing it right in front of her before I began eating. On my own. And she was looking at me expectantly, waiting. Craving. Starving. But I just kept eating in front of her, moaning with each spoonful.