Epilogue

JAEGER

Izzy was alive, but she wasn't living.

It had been 5 months since the battle, but she hadn't woken up once. I visited her every day, hoping that day would be the day she opened her eyes, but like every day, I was always disappointed. 

Perseus had been right, just because he was dead didn't mean it was all going to end. There were still vampires who had prejudiced views toward humans, so much so that the continent was divided now. There were no more individual villages, but individual countries, Renortha and Kesouthel.

The vampires who were set on killing off all of the humans lived in Kesouthel, while the ones who were set on keeping humans alive and living among them lived in Renortha, along with me and the other humans. The war was no longer about race, but about views and beliefs. It was no longer about humans and vampires, but about Renorthas and Kesouthels.

There was a Zas in each country. I was the Zas in Renortha, and there was another in Kesouthel, Drastos. He was almost as bloodthirsty and prejudiced towards humans as Perseus had been. I supposed he had left a legacy, other than being the only Zas who had been killed by a human.

Despite my efforts, the war between our two countries only got worse and worse. They sent spies, as did we. They attempted assassination, as did we. They bombed, as did we. They killed our people, we killed theirs. They hated us, we hated them.

Drastos was not interested in peace in the least. He wasn't interested in living in separate countries with no conflict. No. He only wanted Renorthas dead, both humans and vampires alike. He wanted blood, and he wanted all the power. 

After meeting the council to discuss the state of Renortha and any further advances, I made my way to visit Izzy in the hospital wing, as I usually did, but this time it was different. This time I didn't take a seat in my usual chair and hold her hand. This time I didn't tell her stories, wondering whether she could hear me or not. This time she wasn't asleep. This time she was awake.

I stopped by the threshold, watching as Feyre flashed a light in her eyes, checked her temperature and gave her a tablet to take and water to drink. Feyre took the empty glass of water and noticed me as she stood, offering me a soft smile.

Izzy followed her gaze, and the sight of her nut-brown eyes did something to make my heart clench and my eyes burn.

"Jaeger," she breathed out, her eyes glimmering.

But I could do nothing but stare. Nothing but soak up the sight of her, just in case this wasn't real.

Slowly, she eased out of the blankets, sat on the edge of the bed and got to her feet. She stumbled and I was immediately before her, supporting her, holding her. It had been too long since I'd held her. 

"I missed you," I croaked, my voice hoarse. "I missed you so much."

She brought a hand to my face, the one with the long gash, and placed it on my cheek. I leaned into her touch.

"I had a long nightmare," she whispered, tears streaming down her cheek. "But you were always there, saving me from my fears. I heard you, I felt you, and I tried for so long to wake up. So, so long." She looked down, her voice delicate, "I'm sorry it took so long."

I shook my head and placed a gentle finger under her chin, raising her head so she looked at me. "You're here, and that's all that matters." I wiped her tears and she wiped mine. "I'm sorry."

She sniffed, placing the palm of her other hand on my cheek. "Me too."

Then our lips met, and I kissed her longingly, desperately, lovingly.

She was here...

...and that was all that mattered.