Chapter 31

IZEL

Who knew vampires could be so... considerate?

I hesitated to take his hand, but Jaeger was my teammate. He had saved me and he wanted to help me. The faster I recovered, the faster we get where we needed to and the faster we could finish the task and I could go back home. I had to ignore my body's annoying quirk of tingling when I was too close to him, a vampire.

We didn't enter a small cabin this time, instead, we entered a proper house. It was still small, but not as small as the cabin.

"I have a question," I started as Jaeger helped me to the couch. "It's about that Quearus."

"What about it?" He asked as he puffed up a cushion for me and put it behind my back. What was he doing?

"I, umm, how did the Quearus find us so fast if it—"

"It didn't deliver the message," Jaeger cut me off, knowing what I was going to ask. "It couldn't get to the Zvade and back to us in one day like that, meaning it didn't go to the Zvade in the first place."

"How long does it take to get to the Zvade from here?"

"For a vampire? About a week. For a human. Longer."

"It'll take us more than a week?!"

"Much more than a week."

"On foot though, what if we drove?"

"That's too loud, how many vampires do you want to keep on fighting?" He asked.

I guess that made sense. Jaeger suddenly brought an aid kit and handed it to me.

"Where'd you find this?" I asked him.

He shrugged but said, "there should be some bandage wraps you can tie around your ankle if you want."

"I probably should," I agreed, taking out a bandage wrap and tying it around my ankle. I was thirsty by the time I was done. I wasn't any good at aiding myself and had to start again every time I messed up. I stood, intending to go get water, but before I even took a step Jaeger was before me.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I want water," I told him, "do you think there's drinkable running water?"

"Sit down, I'll check."

I looked at him surprised for some time, was he really going to get me water? He placed his hands on both my shoulders, sending shocks down my arm, and set me back down onto the couch.

Jaeger left and came back from the kitchen with a glass of water, which he handed to me.

"You didn't spit in this did you?" I asked, cautiously taking the glass and bringing it to my mouth.

"I'll tell you after you drink it," he told me.

I glared at him, "I'm no longer thirsty."

"Of course, I didn't spit in it!" He chuckled, "have you spat in someone's drink before that you're worried about something like that?"

"Maybe," I mumbled.

As soon as I finished my glass of water, I was planning on putting it on the coffee table near me like a rational person would, but me being me, I decided I was thirsty again. I wasn't though, I just wanted to see if Jaeger would get me more.

"I'm still thirsty," I said, extending my glass toward him.

He took it and surprisingly brought me more water. I finished it and then asked for another glass.