Chapter 13

IZEL

The first thing I noticed when he left the cabin was that he left his food on the table. 

I began salivating at the sight of it, the smell, the distance. My stomach gurgled, begging me to fill it. I had never gone this long without eating so all I could think about was food. It felt like my stomach was curdling inside of itself and even though I wasn't one to eat somebody's leftovers, I couldn't help myself now. I was desperate, and I needed the strength if I wanted to escape and kill the Slayer.

I shuffled forward with my chair, the loud groan following. I was so close that I could already taste the food on my tongue. I leaned forward, angling my head towards the food when the door suddenly flew open. It was kicked so hard that it broke away from its hinges, sliding across the room and knocking the table in the process, and the unstable thing toppled down, taking the precious food along with it. 

I was so close.

I sneered and looked up, hunger boiling my blood, but my expression quickly fell when I saw what was before me. Vampires. Three of them.

We've got company.

That was what he meant by company. I cursed myself and my stomach for only focusing on food rather than on what he said, and yet I found myself saying to the vampires: "you could have knocked, you know?"

One of them was right in front of me before I could even register its movement.

"Hello there, Vanquisher," a male Vamp said tauntingly before the other two joined it.

Three Vampires against one tied-up Vanquisher. So this was how it was all going to end? I was going to die, tied up to a chair in a cabin in the middle of I didn't know where. Defenceless and vulnerable. I gulped, aware of the fact that there was no getting out of this one.

"Looks like someone made this easier for us," a female said, dragging its long nails down my cheek.

"Are we sharing this time?" Asked the other female impatiently. "Let's share this time, blood tastes better when it's shared."

They were going to drink me alive, well, that came as no surprise. "Actually," I said, "blood tastes better when it remains in the body."

"Let's make this one suffer," the male said, ignoring my earlier statement. "She's that Vanquisher, after all. The one who came up with the idea that's making our attacks so much harder to execute."

"If I apologise, will you let me go?" I asked, despite knowing the answer already.

"Really? This is the one?" The long-nailed female asked, glaring at me. "Because of you, I've had a whole lot more work to do than before. My poor Valc is getting tired of watching your villages for long hours."

"If it wasn't for you," the male cut in, "your kind would've already been done for."

"So how are we going to kill her?" The impatient female suddenly said, "I vote we drink her to death, that way the blood will be fresher."

"Do I get a vote?" I asked. "Because I vote no."

"So we're drinking her to death, right? Because—" 

The impatient female didn't get a chance to finish, not as a blade suddenly pierced its heart, killing it on the spot. The Slayer suddenly appeared in the doorway and said, "wrong."

He threw another blade, one after the other, directed at the female. She managed to catch the first two, but not the third and I found myself impressed at the Slayer's accuracy as it pierced through her heart. I immediately chastised myself for it afterwards.