Chapter Four: A Change in Atmosphere

"Did you guys feel that?" Nightmare asked, looking around.

"Feel what, dude?" Cross responded, briefly looking up from his DS.

"I dunno, that shift in the multiverse I guess." Nightmare replied, scratching his face.

Error popped his head out from the kitchen. "You mean that random surge of destructive magic?"

"Yeah! that's the one." Nightmare exclaimed, turning around. "I wonder where it came from..."

Cross shrugged. "Why don't you two go look for it?"

"Oh, great idea, Cross! What'd'ya say Nightmare?" Error said acerbically, coming out of the kitchen. "Wanna go on an adventure!?" He sneered, doing jazz hands.

"Uh, I'm good, man." Nightmare laughed.

"Well, someone hasn't had his coffee yet..." Cross huffed.

Error blew raspberries at them and retreated back into the kitchen to finish making his coffee.

Snorting, Nightmare leaned back. "Seriously though, where do you think it came from?" He called over his shoulder.

Error let out a loud sigh, "I don't know, Night. But we'll probably find out soon enough."

--

After that awkward first exchange, Errō and Dream finally got to talking.

"I'm glad that you're doing well. Though I do have some questions and concerns, as you can probably imagine." Dream began with a light-hearted chuckle.

Errō nodded, pulling their insufferable hair back and out of their face. "Yeah..." They already knew what kind of questions Dream had.

Dream pulled up a chair and sat down, folding his hands in his lap. "I suppose the first thing I'd like to ask is, if you remember what happened?"

Errō did, in fact, remember what happened. They nodded. "It was an ambush." They said simply.

Dream's eyes widened with concern. "An ambush?" He asked, aghast.

They nodded, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah?" They didn't understand why he was so shocked. Was this stuff not normal?

"Never mind that for now." Dream shook his head. "Do you remember who, or what, attacked you?"

It took a moment for Errō to decide whether or not they wanted to answer that question. They shifted their gaze from Dream's face to the curtain beside their bed. "I do not remember." They sighed heavily. "Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize," Dream replied, "But if you end up remembering something, then please tell me. I would like to help you."

Errō redirected their stare to meet Dream's once again. This guy is weird. He wanted to help them? Yeah right. The last time they accepted help, they ended up being horribly scarred and stripped of the little self-worth they had. So trusting and accepting help? Yeah, no. They're good.

But maybe Errō could play along for now? They can't make an accurate judgment on what kind of a person Dream is just based on his role in this multiverse. They could only make their judgment on him after getting to know him.

Dang it.

Errō nodded in return. "I will. Thank you."

"Of course," Dream nodded. He glanced away for a moment, letting out a small sigh. "And, pardon me if this is too direct but, do you know Error, or are you two perhaps related? You look quite a lot like him." He inquired.