Chapter Seven: Processing Minds

With Dream gone Errō wandered back over to the window, and...Yep, it was still there. The same lanky, blacker than the void-cat. Still perched nimbly on an outstretched tree limb.

Errō and the cat stared at each other intensely. The cat studying Errō as they were studying it.

The cat's eyes were burning brightly blue, with a settled glare in its narrowed eyes. Its skin was blacker than the void, with pink patches of skin on the left side of its face and on the right side of its chest. Overall, a weird-looking creature sitting outside the window.

"Maybe I should let it in?" Errō thought to themselves. "Yes, that seems like a rational decision." Surely nothing could happen. Errō slowly unlocked the window and slid it open, inviting the cat inside.

The cat's ears pricked up, and it nimbly jumped onto the wooden stand that the television was on. Continuing to stare at them.

"Make yourself at home," Errō said softly to the cat before walking away, leaving the window open in case it wanted to leave.

Errō walked over into their bedroom and switched on the light. They sat on their bed and opened up the multiversal code. Their fingers skimmed over the board. They narrowed their eyes, pulling the screen closer to their face. They hummed as they were directed to the multiversal balance board. Their soul dropped as they read the information in front of them. This multiverse was almost as bad as theirs balance-wise. The positivity heavily outweighed the negativity.

This is bad. This is really bad.

Errō shook their head and scrunched their face up in worry. They closed the window, unable to look at it any further.

"Meow!"

Errō looked down and was met with the curious look of the cat sitting below them.

They narrowed their eyes at the animal. "What do you want?" They asked.

That cat tilted its head and almost rolled its eyes, before standing up and pressing its head against Errō's leg. "Meow!"

"That answers nothing..." Errō said with a heavy sigh. They flopped backwards onto the bed, covering their face with their arms.

The cat meowed at them again but it was ignored.

Errō needed to think about what they had just read, and this strange cat was getting in the way of that. They sat back up sluggishly, glaring at the cat, who did the same.

"Why don't you...go somewhere else for now?" They suggested pointing out the bedroom door.

The cat tilted its head before it blinked, stood up, and walked away with its tail held high.

Breathing out a sigh of relief, Errō went back to thinking. They laid back down and reopened the multiversal code, returning to the state of the balances.

Most of the balances were steady but some of them (like time and space, destruction and creation, life and death, so on...) but positivity and negativity? They were down in the dumps. It was getting so bad that Nightmare could be experiencing, well, negative effects. Which could explain why he wasn't trying to catch up. If he even can...

And Dream either didn't notice or just doesn't care. And if it's the latter then Errō would have to do something about that.

But what?

That was the question they need to answer.

Errō cursed quietly and flipped over on their stomach. They didn't have the mental strength for this crap; they needed something else to do.