Chapter nine: Bones Scattered in the Garden

Errō doesn't consider themselves religious, or even faithful for that matter. They're not one to place their undivided trust and devotion to a deity. They've been wronged too many times to trust a god. Deities and gods have never done them any good, they're all the same. Power hungry, and greedy. They're never satisfied, never happy with anything done for them.

The retaliation is always the worst part of following a god.

Errō shuddered and placed a hand on their chest. Their soul clenched painfully in their chest; they felt a deep regret. For everything that happened and will happen in the future. They're regretful for everything they could have stopped, prevented, changed. But never got the chance to.

Looking down at the grassy ground, Errō sighed and slowly sat down on their knees. They let out a huff of air as they opened their inventory for what felt like the hundredth time today. They stared dolefully at the translucent row of glowing boxes as they scrolled to the very back. Their soul sank as they selected a dark mahogany box.

"I never thought I'd have to open this thing." Errō muttered as they gently placed it down on the ground. They haven't touched this box ever since they made it. The box's sides aren't sanded. The edges are rough, and jagged, and the hinges are rusted and look like death himself touched them. Errō remembered when they made it. It was a fond memory. The time it took, and the scratches they accumulated while trying to shave down the sides were bittersweet.

With a slow, achy creeeek, Errō opened the box and unfolded a small plaid sheet, and placed it underneath the chest. They dug around and pulled out a used pack of incense. It was sandalwood. They don't even like sandalwood, but it was the first thing they found--and stole. They placed the holder on the blanket and ever so carefully placed the incense inside the holder. They grabbed the beat-up box of matches from their pocket and pulled out a match. They frowned at the poor and ragged state of the match before striking it against the side of the box.

Only to strike out when it wouldn't light.

"Meow!"

Errō looked over at the Cat with a glare. "You can go back inside."

The Cat let out a heavy sigh and flicked its tail dismissively.

Clicking their tongues, Errō struck the match against the box and narrowed their eyes triumphantly at the animal. "See?" They said smugly.

The Cat growled, its tail thrashing furiously as it stubbornly turned around.

"You're a sore loser." Errō quipped with a sly grin. After lighting the incense stick, and placing the used match back inside the box, Errō went back to setting up their mat.

Errō bit their lip as they pulled out a framed photo. They squeezed their eyes shut and pressed their forehead against the glass of the framed photo. "I'm sorry..." They whispered. "I'm so sorry..." They could--should have done more to protect those boys. Protect them from Inky, protect them from Nightmare. But they didn't. They failed.

Cat purred, rubbing its head against Errō's knee. "Meow.." It looked worried, behind those blank blue eyes, it appeared worried.

They sniffed, looking down at the Cat. "I'm fine...Go-go back inside..."

Cat purred deeply, pressing its head under Errō's arms. Making them let go of the framed photo, it crawled into their lap, pressing against their chest.

"I'm fine," Errō repeated.

Cat looked up at them, its whiskers brushing against their face. It knew they were lying, didn't it?