the adoption

A tall man stood outside a building that he drove past hundreds of times but never went in, until now. Th bright 'Adoption Center' sign taunted him everytime he looked at it, almost as if it was screaming at him to go inside. After careful consideration he inally decided to give it a chance. He thought it'd be nice to have some company around the house, and if he was lucky, someone that could help him out.

He eneterd the building and was instantly greeted with the loud chatter and kaighyer of childeren. He groaned quietly to himself. Maybe this was a bad idea, but it was too late, the woman at the front desk already spotted him so there was no way he could just walk out now. He sighed and walked over to the front desk, being careful not to trip over any stray toys lying on the ground.
"Hello, sir" greeted a blond woman sitting at the desk "looking to adopt a kid? We have all ages from 2-13." She added with a bright smile

Schlatt took a quick look around at the hundredsof kids all around him. "Uh that wee boy over there. " he said, pointing over to a young boy sitting by the window playing with a Teddy bear in a be costume.

"Ah Toby, he's a very good kid." She said with a smile. "Very chatting at times but over all a great kid." She said before typing something onto her computer. "Sorry, your first name sir?" She asked looking up at him.

"Uh Schlatt," he said answered, before turning back to face Toby. He seemed harmless enough. Definitely looked no older than 6 but he seemed nice.

"TOBY!" called the woman at the front desk. "Someone's here to see you!"

Toby looked over and got up in an instant and ran quickly over to the front desk with his teddy bear in his hand. He smiled and waved up to Schlatt, and Schlatt gave a little smile back before stopping himself 'No! I can't let this child make me smile like that!' He told himself looking away.

"I'll give you two some time to talk." Offered the woman, leading them over to a small office at the back of the center. There was two arm chairs and they both took a seat. Tubbo was very small and and almost sank right into the big arm chair. He salt with his arms on the chair and his feet barely handing off the edge.

"Hello! I'm Toby, but I like being called Tubbo, that what my brother use to call me, his nick name was Dream, but he was adopted a few months ago-"

"I'm not calling you Tubbo." Cut in Schlatt, he didn't mean to sound as harsh as he said it, but it happened and he stuck with it. Tubbos smile faded for a quick second and nodded his head slowly, but he smiled again and continued talking.

"That's ok, I suppose, you don't have to call me Tubbo if you don't want to, Toby's fine with me!" Answered Toby, hardly able to sit still in his seat.

'Wow this child has alot of energy, he's so chatty.' Schlatt thought, completely ignoring what Tubbo was saying.

"How old are you?" Cut in Schlatt. Toby stopped and looked up at Schlatt.
"I'm four!" Said Toby holding up five fingers by accident.
Schlatt laughed a little, "you're holding up five fingers." He said correcting him. Tubbo studied his hand a little before looking back up smiling. He didn't know the difference.

Schlatt left the room, tubbo was excited, he could possibly be getting adopted today. Schlatt returned a few minutes later with the woman at the front desk and she was holding Tubbos bag full of his toys and clothes.

"Good news Toby, you being adopted!" She said and Tubbo jumped up out of his seat and made his way over to Schatt, he's grin looked almost too big for his small face. He expected him to take his hand and they would walk out together, but Schlatt didn't seem too interested in holding tubbos hand. Tubbo brushed it off easily, he knew some people didn't like hugs or holding hands, his brother use to be like that.

"Will I be going to pre-school, or maybe a big school? Oh I'd love to go to school and-" began Tubbo and they walked out of the adoption center.
"Shut up would you." Schlatt cut in, causing Tubbos wide grin to fade.

"Oh o-ok sorry" Replied tubbo, getting into the back seat of a run-down car, it smelt of stale cigarettes and there was alot of empty beer bottles on the ground. Schlatt felt bad at snapping at the kid, but a part of him just couldn't help it.

They drove to a different part of town, one tubbo had never seen before, he pressed his head on the window, smudging the glass as he did so. They pulled up outside a, what looks to be an abandoned house. Tubbo looked around the front yard, half a dozen beer bottles lay around the grass and a lot of rappers off of food blew around in the wind.

"I don't have all day, go in." Demand schlatt. Tubbo got out of the car, hugging his Teddy bear tightly as he walked up the driveway. He couldn't decide if he hated Schlatt just yet, maybe he was just in a bad mood today, his brother use to be like that if he was in a bad mood, not as moody but he would snap at him, but Tubbo didn't mind because he would come around a few minutes later.
He couldn't help but wrinkle up his nose at the strong smell of alcohol and cigarettes. This was no place for a child.

Schlatt unlocked the door and sunlight spilled into a poorly lit hallway. Tubbo stepped inside and looked around, there was 3 rooms downstairs and a small wooden staircase leading up to where the bedrooms are.

Schaltt pushed past Tubbo and walked into the kitchen to put his car keys away. Tubbo quickly followed after, unsure of were to go.

The kitchen was a shithole. Empty beer cans everywhere, on the table, counters and even on the floor. There looked to be more beer in this house than things you can actually eat."Um s-sorry but where am I going to uh- sleep?" Asked Tubbo, standing in the doorway of the kitchen, still hugging his Teddy as tight as possible.

Schlatt sighed before turning around. "Follow me" was all he said.  He didnt seem like the same man he was in the adoption center. Tubbo done as he was told and followed Schlatt up the flight of stairs and into a room, it was small enough to be a storage room, not a bedroom. Tubbo figured it must have been a storage room before it was made into a make-shift bedroom.

"T-thank you" Said tubbo putting his bag down ,although he wasn't particularly pleased with the idea that this is where he was going to be sleeping for who knows how long!
"I'll be down stairs and don't you bother me." Said schlatt, pushing past Tubbo and making his way downstairs.

Tubbo stood in his 'room' in this house that reeked of alcohol, unsure of what to do. Every inch of him wanted to go back to the adoption center, but he couldn't. He didn't know the way and Schlatt would never let him go back.

He sat down on his bed, it was the most uncomfortable mattress he had ever felt. Tubbo felt like crying at this point. He wished the floor would swallow him right then and there, or that he'd go to sleep and wake up back in the adoption center and this was all just a very ,very bad dream.