Part Four

Getting over our initial shock and fear of the talking llama, we decided to try to wake it up. Since poking at it didn't work, Dad splashed some water on it. The llama's long neck quickly snapped up to look at us, making my dad and I jump a little out of habit. "Ow! Ow, my head," it whined.

My dad put his hands out in a peaceful manner, "Ok, demon llama. Just take it easy. We mean you no harm."

I smiled guiltily, "I am so sorry."

The llama looked confused at both my dad calling him a demon llama and me saying sorry. "What are you talking about?" his voice turned accusatorial, "Oh, wait. I know you. You're that whiny peasant," his eyes snapped towards me, "and you're that uncivilized, crazy lady!"

Ignoring the insults, our minds realized who we were talking to. "Oh...my...gosh," I said quietly.

"Emperor Kuzco?" my dad asked with slight doubt. I mean, we were talking to a llama.

Snarkily the llama, the Emperor, replied, "Yeah. Who do you think you were talking to?"

My dad attempted to explain to the Emperor how he was, well, a llama. After a bit, he realized what we were trying to tell him. "Aah! It can't be!" he continued screaming, "My face! Aah! My beautiful, beautiful face!" He grasped at his face as if trying to remove a mask.

"If you ask me, it's an improvement," I said, smirking. My dad didn't appreciate it though as he tried to console the llama Emperor.

The Emperor continued to ramble and whine about his face and being a llama. Calming down slightly, he realized he couldn't remember what happened. "Wait a minute. I remember you. I remember both of you! I was telling you that I was building my pool where your house was," his eyes became narrow slits directed at me and my dad, "and then you got mad at me and she yelled at me. And you turned me into a llama!"

My dad huffed in anger at the false accusation, "What? No, I did not."

I embodied my mother's attitude, "Excuse me, llama, get your facts right. Why would we turn you into a llama and kidnap you? Any sane person couldn't stand a moment longer in your presence!"

Taking in my points and dismissing the insult to his character, he understood the stupidity of his statement. "You're right. That's giving you way too much credit," he said trying to make it sound as if we were too stupid to do such a thing. He turned away from us and became serious, "I have to get back to the palace. Yzma's got that 'secret lab'. I'll just snap my fingers and order her to change me back." Shakily, he got up on two legs and used the wooden fence to begin walking. Focused on the difficult task, he distractedly ordered us to follow him.

I looked up at my dad, he briefly thought of something and then firmly stated, "Build your summerhouse somewhere else."

"Yeah!" I said, loving my dad's confidence, "Unless you change your mind, we aren't taking you anywhere."

The Emperor stared at us with a blank face, "Hmm, I got a little secret for you. Come here." We inched closer to him, my dad filled with hope and me with curiosity. "No, closer," and then he screamed loudly, "I don't make deals with peasants!"

Getting over the unexpected screeching, my dad crossed his arms, "Then I guess I can't take you back."

"Fine." Confidently, the Emperor continued on with no fear of the possibly dangerous journey.

"Emperor Kuzco!" He stopped walking away surprisingly, "I really think you should listen to my dad. He's really experienced with the jungle." Even though the Emperor is no doubt a horrible, conceited person, he didn't deserve to die!

Despite my dad listing the numerous dangers, the Emperor continued on, singing a childish song to muffle my dad's voice.

"Fine. Fine," my dad sniffed in false indifference, "Go ahead! If there's no Kuzco, there's no Kuzcotopia. Takes care of my problem." He wiped his hands as if the Emperor was just a speck of dirt. Through his hesitation in walking away, I knew he was fighting against his natural instinct to help.

I looked towards the rolling hills and dirt path that eventually led to the palace. The Emperor had already disappeared from sight. Oh, he would get lost for certain, maybe worse. I rolled my eyes in irritation and rushed into the house that my dad had just entered. Going to my room, I grabbed the poncho my mom made for me and walked back outside hearing my parents discussing something in their room.

I paused at the door, appreciating the warmth and light our house radiated in contrast to the ever-darkening jungle. Releasing a deep breath, I walked away from the house mumbling to myself, "Let's just get this over with already. Just find the emperor and make him change his mind." With this goal in mind, I started running to catch up with the Emperor. In just one day, I had already left my village more than I had in the last couple of years.