Part Fifteen

It was then that we both realized that we couldn't live without the other. I always laugh to myself about this with how cliche it sounds. Even so, I began to understand that I didn't have to travel the world to experience life when my world was six people. My family and Kuzco.

"Are you telling our story again?"

I glared at the voice but he knew it wasn't serious. "Stop interrupting me!"

"I'm just saying they probably want to hear a different story. How about when you and I-"

My eyes bulged, "Okay! Where was I? Oh, yes..."

"What? What did I say? Oh! You naughty-"

And Kuzco learned that even though he was a selfish, vain, useless Emperor, he could still change for the better and put his people first but let me go back, I'm getting ahead of myself.

~

Kuzco and I determined, at that moment as we gazed at the sunset, that we would pursue a relationship but at the time, we both had obligations we needed to attend to. He needed to fix the disaster Yzma and his old self left behind as rulers and I wanted to experience the world. He also reminded me of his promise to help with creating a strong school system throughout the entire empire for all children!

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to a connecting room from the one we were in. Standing at the entrance of the room, I saw that my dad sat staring solemnly at the prototype of our village and Kuzcotopia. I had honestly forgotten about this issue with all the near-death experiences.

I opened my mouth to clarify this with Kuzco but he told me to wait a few seconds.

He moved to stand across from my dad and crossed his arms. "So, you lied to me."

My dad looked up with wide eyes at Kuzco's seriousness. "I did?"

I walked over to my dad and rested a hand on his shoulder. "Yeah. You said when the sun hits this ridge just right, these hills sing. Well, pal, I was dragged all over those hills, and I did not hear any singing." I smiled at my dad when he realized that Kuzco was just jesting. "So... I'll be building my summer home on a more magical hill. Thank you."

Dad laughed, "Hmm. Couldn't pull the wool over your eyes, huh?"

Kuzco carefully placed our prototype home on the top of the hill. "No, no, I'm sharp, I'm on it. Looks like you and your family are stuck on that tuneless hilltop forever, pal." He sat down next to my dad in comfortable silence and I wrapped my arms around him from behind.

"Thank you," I whispered in his ear. He simply smiled and placed a hand on my arm.

"You know, there's gonna have to be some rules now since you're finally together. Boy, when I was dating you're mother I couldn't-"

"Dad!"

"What? You're together aren't you?"

Kuzco entwined his fingers with mine and angled his body toward my dad. "If it's okay with you..."

My dad smacked his large hand into Kuzco's back, "You know, I'm pretty sure I heard some singing on the hill next to us," my dad shrugged, "In case you're interested." Kuzco grinned at my dad's acceptance and his suggestion as I pulled them into a big hug.

~

"Okay that's the last of it," I said while wiping my hands on my dress. We had just finished setting up "Kuzcotopia" and by that, I mean the house on the hill next to me and my family. It was a cute little home, similar to my family's but slightly smaller.

I laid on the couch in peace until someone barged in. "I just finished the birdhouse," a jovial voice said, "You proud of me?" I opened my eyes to see Kuzco standing beside me, his hands on his hips. "I may have smashed my hand a few times with the hammer but it looks great."

Shaking my head at his enthusiasm, I smiled, "I'm sure it's perfect."

Kuzco smiled softly and then walked around the house. It didn't take very long for him to return as everything was very close to each other. There was only the kitchen, living room, and one bedroom. "Everything looks great, Amara." He lifted my legs so he could sit on the couch and then put them back down over his lap.

"Thank you but it truly is a beautiful home. All I had to do was clean a little and let the sunshine in."

Kuzco rolled his eyes. "Why was no one living here then?"

"Old man Gerty lived here but he died."

"What?"

"Yeah, it happened in the middle of the night. The village said the house was cursed, haunting him 'till the end."

Kuzco gripped a pillow, whispering, "It is still haunted?"

I looked at him with wide eyes and then let out a shrill scream pointing behind him. Kuzco screamed, his alarm causing him to fall off the couch.

Unable to contain it, my laughter spilled out. It was so funny that tears were trailing down my face as I smacked the couch repeatedly. Wiping my face, I said, "Man, I got you good."

Realizing that it was all a joke, Kuzco remained sprawled out on the floor. He glared at me but stayed silent.

"Old man Gerty lives with his son now. He got too old to live on his own so he gave his house up." I peeked over the couch so that my face was hovering above his. "Forgive me?"

Kuzco tried to avoid my stare but a smile begrudgingly made its way to his face. Right when he looked at me, he laughed, causing me to fall into uncontrollable giggles once again. Our laughter only made the other laugh even more.