Epilogue Part Three

My body jilted at any little pebble the cart hit but I didn't mind, for the most part. Today was Deja and I's last day of traveling for a whole year. We would be reaching the capital city where the palace was by nightfall.

"Are you excited to see everyone?" she asked from beside me. Our shoulders jostled together from the cart's rigid movements.

"Of course I am. A little nervous though," I frowned slightly, "but maybe that's just my excitement."

"I think so. We haven't seen our families in a year...and you haven't seen Kuzco in six months," she smirked.

I rolled my eyes at her and made sure she could see it. "We met up a few times," I said this with sass because she knew that, she was there. "I'm just glad we were able to stay in contact with everyone." Deja hummed in agreement.

Throughout the year we've been gone, I had been religiously sending and receiving letters from my family. They kept me up to date on any changes in their lives and how the Empire was progressing as we were gone. The letters also supplied my parents with a sense of security while I was away. My dad was always asking about how I was, if I was sick, and, most importantly, if Kuzco was acting like a gentleman.

No matter the distance between us, my dad also wrote that he would get to me as soon as possible. I didn't doubt it.

I was mostly interested in hearing news about my siblings. Kids grow up so fast that a lot can change in one year. When I left, Yupi, my youngest brother, was only a few months old, now he would be walking around on his own.

"It's really exciting though, Day, we get to start teaching at the neighboring villages," my hands clapped together as my glee leaked through.

She smiled at my excitement. "Yeah, and I'll be your right-hand woman."

It was true. While I was the one who initially started the school in our village, Deja helped me with creating a curriculum and standards that could be applied to all schools. She's the one that made me realize it was actually possible.

~

The ride continued in bouts of chatter and rest. Sunlight eventually gave way to the glow of the moon.

I was jolted awake by the abrupt halting of the cart and a bag knocking against my head.

"Whoops." Deja totally did that on purpose but I'll get her back later, I'm too tired right now.

I slowly crawled out of my sleeping position, groaning as the stiffness from the ride made its presence known. Carefully, I twisted my back and cracked all my joints.

As my eyes cleared up from their dreariness, I was welcomed by the sight of Deja staring at me smugly. How she always looked so put together, I don't know.

"We're here," she stated simply as she continued to unload her luggage. I looked around and recognized the familiar buildings of the capital city. Everything was dulled by the dark sky but I was filled with peace as we were finally home.

It was likely close to midnight with how quiet it was. Everyone is in their homes, asleep. That sounds so nice. The feeling of returning home, sleeping in your own bed, was pretty close to all the fun things we did while traveling. At this moment, my bed sounded better than anything.

The staircase that led up to the palace was near where the cart owner had stopped. In our last letter, Kuzco said that the palace staff and guards would be expecting our arrival late in the night. He wrote that two rooms would be prepared for us at the palace so we didn't have to travel even more to our village.

I felt bad about this at first, not wanting to intrude, but now I didn't care. You never want to mess with a woman when she's exhausted and needs sleep. Some people may be able to act pleasant even when they are hungry or tired but my body cannot afford extra energy for pleasantries. This was something I had long thrown aside to work on.

I slowly unloaded the few bags I had brought and laid them at my feet. Deja was waiting patiently, her bags in her arms. With a huff, I picked up my bags and walked with her towards the staircase after mumbling thanks to the cart owner. A flashback to when my dad and I first stood before this long, never-ending staircase popped into my mind.

I felt the same way I did then. As we walked up, well Deja walked while I did more of a staggering crawl, I didn't resist the tears that glided down my face. Emotions are real, man.

We eventually reached the palace and I don't remember anything else besides falling asleep. Mission accomplished.